- "Master Zallow = wise to let Shafu live // Shafu = useful resource // Shafu = turned undercover agent for Jedi"
Shafu was a Rodian male who made a career as a slaver in the years before the Great Galactic War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. However, the Jedi Master Ven Zallow tracked down Shafu and convinced him to change his ways, leading the Rodian to become Zallow's undercover agent in the criminal underworld. Near the end of the Great Galactic War, Shafu's investigations into a network of Imperial spies led to his death when his sabotaged starship exploded over the moon Nar Shaddaa.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Jedi = correct // Master Zallow = sent Shafu on secret mission // Shafu = gave his life for Republic"
A Rodian male, Shafu worked as a slaver in the years before the Great Galactic War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, transporting slaves in his starship. The astromech droid T7-O1 served as Shafu's navigator but never entered the cargo hold where the slaves were kept, and so was unaware of Shafu's actual trade. Sometime before 3681 BBY, the Jedi Master Ven Zallow tracked down Shafu. However, instead of arresting the Rodian, Zallow convinced Shafu to give up his career as a slaver and return to Hutt Space, where Shafu freed hundreds of slaves. Giving T7-O1 to the Jedi Master, Shafu went on to work as an undercover operative for Zallow, infiltrating the criminal underworld during the Great Galactic War.
During the war, Zallow sent Shafu to investigate rumors of an Imperial spy in the upper echelons of the Republic. Shafu intercepted a message from the Alderaanian noble Eckhorn Baliss that contained a list of Imperial sympathizers in the Galactic Senate and revealed Baliss to be an Imperial spy. However, Baliss was killed in 3663 BBY, and Shafu continued his investigations over the next decade, determining that Baliss had attempted to blackmail an Imperial plant in the Senate and was killed for it. Shafu compiled a report on his investigations and submitted it shortly before Zallow's death in 3653 BBY, but Zallow died before seeing the message, and it was deleted from official communications. Shafu was killed himself not long afterward by the bounty hunter Terrin Sandafar, who sabotaged Shafu's ship so that it exploded over the moon Nar Shaddaa.
Years later, T7-O1 learned of Shafu's death—which had been ruled accidental—and rebuilt Shafu's report from the deleted files. Using Shafu's report, T7-O1 identified the spy and Sandafar's employer as the husband of Senator Verre Sydia, and the man was arrested.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "Master Zallow = convinced Shafu to reform // Shafu = gave T7 to Master Zallow"
The Rodian Shafu was a slaver before the Great Galactic War, but Ven Zallow was able to convince him to abandon his career and free his captives. Shafu became loyal to Zallow, risking his life as Zallow's undercover operative in the criminal underworld. T7-O1 believed that Shafu underestimated the droid and his capabilities.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Shafu was mentioned in a conversation with the Jedi Knight class companion character T7-O1 in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game released by BioWare on December 20, 2011.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First mentioned)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2 takes place ten years after the treaty, one week after the mission to Nar Shaddaa, and around the time of the SpecForce Incident. Since the mission and the incident are respectively part of Act I of the Jedi Knight and Republic Trooper's storylines, and the Trooper's Act I occurs concurrent to Act I of the Smuggler storyline, the general events of Act I for all classes can be assumed to occur in 3643 BBY. The Prologue for each class immediately precedes Act I, and Act III for all classes begins with the start of the Galactic War, which Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places around 3640 BBY. Assuming that in-universe chronology of the Star Wars: The Old Republic events roughly aligns with the release of story content in real-life as with , the Act III Epilogue must take place near the end of 3640 BBY since it was the chronologically latest story of the The Old Republic base game, which was released toward the end of 2011. Therefore, assuming that The Old Republic takes place over the course of three years per the former of the two aforementioned swtor.com posts, Act I takes place near the end of 3643 BBY. Adding ten years to the date 3643 BBY means that Shafu died in 3653 BBY. places
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with T7-O1: "Shafu's Report"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with T7-O1: "Slaver's Redemption"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with T7-O1: "The Confession"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with T7-O1: "Eckhorn's List"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with T7-O1: "The Senator's Secret"