- "The Mystics are never wrong."
Shanatka-Lo was a female Voss who lived on the planet of the same name well before the Galactic War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. A Force-sensitive Mystic, Shanatko-Lo died sometime before 3640 BBY, and her ghost remained within the Shrine of Healing on her homeworld alongside the spirits of fellow Mystics Laeras-Wu and Hanar-Ye to teach Force rituals to other Mystics and healers. Shanatka-Lo and the others taught the Sith Lord Fulminiss a healing ritual at the request of the Mystic Valen-Da, and though Fulminiss corrupted the ritual with the dark side of the Force, the three dead Mystics remained confident in the wisdom of their fellow Mystic.
- "Who are you?"
"Ancient Mystics of Voss. Bound to this shrine for eternity. Wisdom endures through us."
- ―The Hero of Tython and Shanatka-Lo
A Force-sensitive Voss female, Shanatka-Lo was born on the planet Voss. Like all Voss who lived before the planet's discovery during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, Shanatka-Lo spent her life on her homeworld; as she was Force-sensitive, she became a Mystic who was capable of seeing the future. Shanatka-Lo died well before 3640 BBY, but her spirit remained tied to the Shrine of Healing on Voss along with the spirits of fellow Mystics Hanar-Ye and Laeras-Wu. The three spirits shared their knowledge with visiting Mystics and healers, including the secrets of a healing ritual that could heal the mind of a patient by drawing on the strength of many. In the year 3640 BBY, during the Galactic War between the Republic and the Sith Empire, the Mystic Valen-Da visited the Shrine with the Sith Lord Fulminiss.
Because it was decreed by a Mystic, Shanatka-Lo and the others taught Fulminiss the healing ritual, though the Sith corrupted the ritual with the dark side of the Force so that it tore open the minds of its victims, and they watched as Fulminiss used the ritual against the healers who had accompanied Valen-Da. Valen-Da and Fulminiss then departed the Shrine, though the three ghosts saw Valen-Da leave a holoprojector in the corner of the chamber with a message for the commando Tala-Reh. When the Jedi Knight known as the Hero of Tython arrived at the Shrine in search of Valen-Da not long afterward, Shanatka-Lo and the other two Mystic spirits witnessed the deranged healers attack the Jedi and forced the Knight to kill them in self-defense. The Mystics then appeared to the Jedi, explained what Fulminiss had done with the ritual, and faded away after informing the Knight of Valen-Da's message for Tala-Reh.
Personality and traits
Shanatka-Lo possessed the blue eyes and red skin with blue patterns that all female Voss did, and she lacked hair like the rest of her species. As a spirit, Shanatka-Lo appeared as a ghostly yellow apparition, and she retained her belief that the wisdom of the Mystics was infallible even after death.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Bloody Pilgrimage" on Voss
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia establish that the Battle of Ilum and the end of Act III for the class storylines of Star Wars: The Old Republic occur in late 3640 BBY and prior to the events of The Old Republic: Annihilation, which is also set in 3640 BBY per The Essential Reader's Companion. Annihilation establishes that the Treaty of Coruscant collapsed approximately eighteen months prior, or in 3641 BBY, and as Act III occurs after the treaty's collapse, the act begins sometime between 3641 BBY and 3640 BBY. This article assumes that Voss, as the middle of Act III, takes place around the start of 3640 BBY. and