"Every pilot in the galaxy knows that’s a one-way trip."
- ―Two Phoenix Squadron pilots
Shantipole was a remote planet located in the galaxy's Mid Rim that was renowned for having a violent atmosphere and being a one-way trip for pilots. It was home to the Mon Calamari Quarrie, who designed a prototype for the B-wing starfighter. During the blockade of Ibaar, Hera Syndulla, Sabine Wren and Garazeb Orrelios traveled to Shantipole to get the prototype B-wing to break Ibaar's blockade.
A remote world located in the galaxy's Mid Rim orbited by at least one moon, Shantipole had a violent atmosphere of gas and lightning and was practically desolate. The planet's surface was dominated by mountain spires covered with vibrantly-colored trees. Large, winged creatures known as dactillions could be found in Shantipole's skies.
Shantipole was once a highly prospected source of rare gases similar to tibanna, however investors abandoned Shantipole due to its unpredictable wind patterns. Because of that violent atmosphere, most pilots typically avoided Shantipole, with one regarding it as a "one-way trip." This attribute, however, made it the perfect workplace for Quarrie, a Mon Calamari master engineer and starfighter designer, as it allowed him to toil on his creations far from the watchful eye of the Galactic Empire. He established a secret starfighter laboratory and, after years of work, he designed and built Prototype B6, an advanced starfighter armed with experimental weapons, with the assistance of his astromech droid, BG-81.
Behind the scenesEdit
Shantipole made its first Canonical appearance in the Star Wars Rebels Season Two episode "Wings of the Master", which premiered on Disney XD on November 11, 2015. Shantipole had previously appeared as an asteroid research station in the 1988 West End Games adventure book Strike Force: Shantipole, which is considered part of Star Wars Legends.
Shantipole subsequently appeared in the non-Canon 2017 LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures Season Two episodes "Free Fall" and "Return of the Return of the Jedi." In those episodes, the Freemakers and Quarrie lure the Imperial hunter droid M-OC into a trap on Shantipole, resulting in the destruction of the Arrowhead and the StarScavenger. After M-OC survives and escapes to fortify the second Death Star, the Freemakers rebuild the StarScavenger and participate in the Battle of Endor, defeating M-OC.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Free Fall"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Return of the Jedi"
- (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Picture only)
- Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Star Wars Rebels – "Wings of the Master"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
- ↑ (Slide 6)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Free Fall"
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Return of the Return of the Jedi"