- "We have three Sheathipede-class shuttles, but they have no weapons."
- ―General Kalani
The Sheathipede-class transport shuttle, also known as the Sheathipede-class shuttles and as the Neimoidian escort shuttle, was a short-range transport used by the Trade Federation and the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
A product of Haor Chall Engineering, the Sheathipede-class was a transport shuttle with a curved hull and pincer-like landing gears, which lowered from the ship's rounded belly, and the shuttle's shape roughly resembled the Neimoidian soldier beetle. At a length of fourteen-point-four meters, the shuttle was powered by two engines and featured an egress hatchway at the rear. Some models replaced the cockpit with an expanded passenger cabin, and were flown by automatic pilots.
Stock Sheathipede shuttles were unarmed and only possessed a basic shield generator, meaning that, rather than relying on strength, the ships relied on speed and a small sensor cross-section to get to a destination. Many of the shuttles used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems were upgraded with improved shielding, better armor, and larger engines. While uncommon, a decent number had light weapons added, typically in the form a trio of laser cannons. These armed Sheathipedes were used to move very valuable materiel through hostile locations and transport high-ranking officers and officials.
The Sheathipede-class shuttle was a short-range transport and escort shuttle primarily utilized to ferry passengers across a planet's surface, or between an orbiting starship and a world below. Neimoidian officials in the Trade Federation used these shuttles for transit from battleships to the surface of conquered planets, and often preferred models with automatic pilots as the absence of a cockpit allowed for increased passenger space.
Viceroy Nute Gunray arrived in Theed during the Federation occupation of Naboo aboard a Sheathipede-class shuttle. He and his retinue emerged from the vessel's rear hatchway to survey their victory over the Naboo people.
The Clone WarsEdit
- "Ahsoka, Dooku manged to escape. We're in pursuit but we could use reinforcements."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, travelling in a stolen Sheathipede-class shuttle
Viceroy Gunray continued to make use of these shuttles, and fled Geonosis following the outbreak of war ten years after the Naboo affair. He even used a transport ship to land in the planet of Rodia so he could meet with Senator Onaconda Farr. However, his transport ship was destroyed by a Kwazel Maw. Anakin Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi later stole one from Dooku's Munificent-class star frigate using it to chase down the Sith Lord. Although they successfully shot him down over Vanqor, the shuttle was destroyed by a Vulture Droid, and Count Dooku escaped. Doctor Nuvo Vindi maintained a Sheathipede-class shuttle which was captured by the Galactic Republic during a raid on his laboratory during the Blue Shadow Virus affair. Following the Battle of Coruscant in the final days of the Clone Wars, General Grievous traveled to Pau City on Utapau to meet with the Separatist Council.
Age of the EmpireEdit
Three Sheathipede-class transport shuttles were present on Agamar, where the Spectres and former Separatist General Kalani's Separatist holdout used them to escape a battle against the Galactic Empire. One shuttle piloted by droids was shot down in the escape, while the remaining two made it to safety. One contained Kalani and several of his B1 battle droids, and the other one shuttle belonging to the Spectres christened the new Phantom II.
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75170 The Phantom)
- (First identified as Neimoidian escort shuttle)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Sheathipede-class transport shuttle)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith