Shinie was a derogatory term that veteran clone troopers used to refer to their less-experienced clone rookie colleagues. It referred to the shininess of the clone trooper's armor, and/or the "shininess" of their experience. Clone cadets were also frequently referred to by this name.
Hevy, Echo, Droidbait, Fives, and Cutup were some notable shinies stationed on a remote outpost in the Rishi system. They were unaware of the meaning of the term until it was explained to them by clone Captain Rex. However, after an attack from Confederacy forces, Droidbait, Hevy, and Cutup perished, and Echo and Fives were inducted into the famed 501st Legion, leaving their "shinie" status behind, both literally due to the state of their armor, and in terms of their battle experience.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only) (DLC)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Death Trap"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"