- "...it's rough on my throat, I lost my voice for a day after bugging Zeb by serenading him in Shyriiwook."
- ―Sabine Wren
Shyriiwook was a language of the Wookiees, others of which included Thykarann and Xaczik. The language consisted of growling and howls, and thus was difficult for anyone not a Wookiee to speak or learn and was also rough on their throat. It had over one-hundred-and-fifty words for wood, and many words for bloodshed.
Han Solo was capable of understanding it, as he usually understood what Chewbacca was saying. When he first met Chewbacca, the pair became friends when they helped each other escape the Imperial Army, after Solo showed Chewbacca he was on his side, by speaking to him in Shyriiwook. Major Harter Kalonia, who served as a physician in the Resistance, was fluent in Shyriiwook. Rey was able to learn Shyriiwook due to her interaction with offworlders on Jakku.
- Ah. ("One.")
- Ah-ah. ("Two.")
- A-oo-ah. ("Three.")
- Wyoorg. ("Four.")
- Wyaaaaaa. ("Hello.")
- Roooarrgh ur roo. ("I have a bad feeling about this.")
- Murghhhhh grrbokgh. (Another way of saying "I have a bad feeling about this.")
- Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof? ("How do you take your coffee?")
- Wwwah rrroooaaah wha? ("Want to play holochess?")
- Aarrr wgh ggwaaah. ("Jump to hyperspace.")
- Rrraugrah. ("Hairless Imperial intruder.")
- Rrashrakrrykah karaaa arrarakkyysh. ("Rid us of this menace.")
- Yyyuurrrrrrruuunghh. (Roughly translated, "What the Hutt is going on in here and who do I have to whomp to make it stop?")
- Vlarrrr muurrrgh rrgggg lurrrr. Brrr-annn gooowwrrrgh. (Loosely translated, "Find a really big weapon for me," though sounds much more poetic to native Shyriiwook speakers.)
- Hronn murrgbushk. ("Something dead.")
- Mrowgh ghrrmrowrig! ("Up into the trees!")
- Rowrigghh hrmkuhhrnnn. ("The trees are life," roughly, though difficult to understand even to those who understood Shyriiwook, and of particular importance in Wookiee culture.)
- Hhhummghhra nwurrr rowrigghh. (A Wookiee saying, also related to trees and paths and destiny.)
- Hrung? ("Ready?")
- Rwww. ("No.")
- Yarrhh rrrrrrrunnnn mmonnrgh. (An old Wookie expression that talks about being present to catch a Wookiee who slips out of a tree.)
- Nyrrrrnyrrrr. Gronnnnnnda murrrrrg hhhuurrhuurr! ("Look at the holovid. There's clearly a door built into the statue. We just need to get there and get inside before the worm grabs us again!")
- Nyrrr. Rumk nyrr. ("No, just hold on for a minute.")
- Brooonaughhh rruug rrruo. (Loosely translated, "That's what you get for sending me on a pet-sitting job.")
Behind the scenesEdit
For the 2018 Star Wars Anthology film Solo: A Star Wars Story, screenwriters Lawrence and Jon Kasdan wrote Chewbacca's dialogue translated to English in the script, so Han Solo actor Alden Ehrenreich could understand what was being said to his character. The roars of Chewbacca's Shyriiwook were originally created by sound designed Ben Burtt using recorded bear sounds. For Solo: A Star Wars Story, additional recordings were made of a grizzly bear and a seal, among other animals, and, with some audio manipulation, were used to expand Chewbacca's vocal range.
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook (First identified as Shyriiwook)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Solo: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars 24: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part IV
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear!
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Last Shot
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story DVD commentary
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story home video special feature, "Team Chewie"