Sicemon (also spelled Siceman) was a planet located in the Sice system that was covered in vast grasslands and mounds. Inhabited by giant flying whales, it was home to a city that was used as a base by the Rebel Alliance.
Behind the scenesEdit
Sicemon appeared in early scripts of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi as the site of Jabba's palace, through by the rough draft the palace had been moved to Tatooine and the world instead became home to a rebel base. Nicknamed the "grass planet," it was allocated several sets, including a war room and living quarters, but was eventually written out of the final version of the story. Concept art of Sicemon illustrated by Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston was later used to depict the Castle Lands of Alderaan in the 1995 Star Wars Legends book The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and inspired the design of the grassland planets Maridun and Lothal.
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
- The Making of Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars Art: Ralph McQuarrie
- The Star Wars Archives: Episodes IV-VI 1977-1983
Notes and referencesEdit
- Maridun. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (March 14, 2014). Retrieved on March 5, 2016. "The design of the grass planet Maridun stems from Ralph McQuarrie paintings and illustrations originally produced for Return of the Jedi. An earlier draft of the Jedi story depicted a grassland planet named Sicemon. Years later, the Sicemon concept art was resurrected to depict the grasslands of Alderaan in a 1995 coffee table book, The Illustrated Star Wars Universe. The structures seen in the grasslands became "Killik mounds," large abandoned termite-like hives from a supposedly vanished race. These structures became the basis of the seedpod designs seen used by the Lurmen in this episode." (screenshot)