- "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Darth Vader
The Sith Empire was an empire that existed long before the Galactic Civil War. Similarly to other empires of the Sith, the Sith Empire built itself through the use of slave labor, a practice that the Galactic Republic outlawed during its stewardship of the galaxy. At one point, the Sith Empire's forces led by a Sith witch and Jedi Knights fought against each other at the base of the Malachor Sith Temple on the planet Malachor, resulting in the Great Scourge that killed many warriors on both sides. A notable planet ruled by the Sith Empire was Serenno, but one of the earliest members of House Serenno led a victorious charge that overthrew the Empire there. During the time the Sith controlled and governed the majority of the galaxy, gemstones were freely traded, although this caused a flooding of the market and the value of gemstones dropped until bans and limits were put in place.
Long after the fall of the ancient Sith, Darth Maul was taken to Malachor by his Master, the Sith Lord Darth Sidious. Using the history of conflict between the Sith and Jedi Order to instill a sense of hatred for the Jedi in his apprentice, the Dark Lord compelled Maul to inhale the ashes of the fallen Sith, causing the Dathomirian Zabrak to experience the Great Scourge of Malachor through a Force vision.
Ultimately, the Sith would obtain galactic dominance by the end of the Clone Wars, after Sidious abolished the Republic and proclaimed himself the Galactic Emperor. During his reign, the Emperor possessed various relics and artifacts that dated back to the Sith Empire of old.
The idea of an enormous, spacefaring, planet-destroying superweapon had dated back a millennium prior to the rise of the Empire, as in the Sith Empire, tyrants were playing with the idea of a weapon so powerful that it could destroy entire worlds. Although only a few superweapons were produced by the Empire, it wasn't until the successes of Darth Sidious and Darth Tyranus with the outbreak of the Clone Wars that the idea of the Sith Empire came to fruition.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Sith Empire was first identified in Star Wars canon in the 2017 novel Aftermath: Empire's End by Chuck Wendig. The Sith Empire originated in the Star Wars Legends comic Tales of the Jedi — The Golden Age of the Sith 0: Conquest and Unification on July 1, 1996.
- Dooku: Jedi Lost (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Master & Apprentice (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Maul, Part II (First appearance) (Vision to Darth Maul) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Darth Maul, Part IV (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 24: Fortress Vader, Part VI (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice" (Indirect mention only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only) (First identified as Sith Empire)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Darth Maul, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- ↑ Dooku: Jedi Lost
- ↑ Master & Apprentice