The Sith Empire was established by the Sith of Korriban circa 28,000 BBY when Adas unified the many scattered Sith tribes on Korriban and established himself as the sole ruler and lord of Korriban. Three hundred years later, King Adas died following the defeat of the Rakatan invaders. After the king's death, the Empire was torn apart in the ensuing power struggle as many warlords claimed kingship for themselves. The Empire was reunified for a short time at some point before 6900 BBY, with the rise of King Hakagram Graush—who was deemed a proper successor. Soon after that however, Dark Jedi Exiles arrived and seized power on Korriban.
Prior to 28,000 BBY the Sith culture was one of primitive tribal fighting. One Sith, born with prophesied black pigmented skin, sought to unite the people of Korriban into an Empire, and succeeded by setting himself up as the first monarch of the Sith people. Having united all of Korriban under one rule, Sith King Adas was given the title of Sith'ari, or Lord of the Sith.
King Adas' rule lasted 300 years until in 27,700 BBY, when, while fighting off the Rakata invaders, he lost his life. His death was not in vain however, as he and his people had forced the Rakata off Korriban. Taking what remained of their enemies' spacecraft, the previously primitive Sith—now instantly propelled into a space age and armed with mastery of the dark side of the Force, both acquired from the Rakata—went on to conquer other nearby worlds, in what would later come to be known as Sith Space, their capital being relocated from Korriban to the neighboring Ziost.
Peace in the Empire was short-lived, dissolving into civil war due to the power vacuum caused by the death of Adas, with many different leaders claiming the title of Sith'ari. At some point before the year 6900 BBY, two-dozen millennia after Adas' death, a suitable successor to Adas seemed to come at last: Hakagram Graush was made King of the Sith. However, Graush's reign was short-lived. Following the Battle of Corbos, a group of fallen Jedi Exiles arrived on Korriban and seized power from the assassinated King.
- Tales of the Jedi — The Golden Age of the Sith 0: Conquest and Unification (Appears in flashback(s))
- Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith 2: Funeral for a Dark Lord (Appears in flashback(s))
- Tales of the Jedi 5: The Saga of Nomi Sunrider, Part 3 (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry)
- Darth Plagueis (Indirect mention only)
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- Evil Never Dies: The Sith Dynasties
- The Essential Atlas
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded