- "Get help. You're no match for him. He's a Sith Lord."
- ―Sheev Palpatine, to Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker
During the days of the Old Republic, many individuals held the mantle of Sith Lord and fought countless wars against the Jedi Order. Eventually, however, their numbers dwindled due to infighting. After Darth Bane established the Rule of Two, Sith tradition dictated that there could only be two Sith Lords—a master and an apprentice—at any given time.
In the years leading up to the Invasion of Naboo the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis was killed by his apprentice Darth Sidious, who at the time was also training his own apprentice Darth Maul. Sidious planted the seeds for what would become the Confederacy of Independent Systems by forming an alliance with the Trade Federation, a corporation led by Viceroy Nute Gunray and Settlement Officer Rune Haako. Sidious convinced the Trade Federation to use their army of battle droids to blockade and invade the peaceful planet of Naboo. The invasion failed and Maul was seemingly killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, but Sidious was elected as Supreme Chancellor Of the Galactic Republic.
The Sith then resurface, ten years later. Darth Tyranus, Sidious' apprentice, meets with Viceroy Gunray, and other influential magnates, on Geonosis. They form the Confederacy of Independent Systems and start the Clone Wars against the Republic. A number of other Sith are also active during the war, such as Sidious' former apprentice Maul, Tyranus' first apprentice Asajj Ventress, and Tyranus' second apprentice and Maul's brother Savage Opress. Due to Sidious being both Chancellor of the Republic and Tyranus' master he is able to manipulate both sides of the war, leading to Order 66, the defeat of the Confederacy, and the establishment of the Galactic Empire.
Anakin Skywalker is turned to the dark side and becomes the Sith Lord Darth Vader while Sidious rules the galaxy as Emperor. Grand Moff Tarkin and Vader oversee the construction of the Death Star battle station. However the Rebel Alliance destroy it along with Tarkin during the Battle of Yavin. The Rebels then continue to defy Imperial rule for a further five years, culminating in the Battle of Endor with the destruction of the Second Death Star and the end of the thousand-year lineage stretching from Darth Bane to the last Sith Lord, Darth Vader, when Vader died destroying his master, Darth Sidious.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars Annual 4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Dooku: Jedi Lost
- ↑ (Image 1 caption)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Master & Apprentice
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 22: Fortress Vader, Part IV
- ↑ Lando, Part IV
- ↑ "The End of History"—Star Wars Insider 154
- ↑ Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary