- "It is your duty to learn what I know. It is my duty to learn what there is to teach."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Darth Vader
A Sith apprentice was a Force-sensitive individual trained by a Sith Master to use the dark side of the Force. The age at which a Sith apprentice began their training varied. Darth Maul became apprenticed to Darth Sidious while still a child. Darth Tyranus and Darth Vader, both former members of the Jedi Order, became Sidious' apprentice, in turn, as adults. Although Darth Bane's Rule of Two mandated that only two Sith could exist at any given time, Tyranus broke with the system by training his own apprentices (albeit at different times)—Asajj Ventress as an assassin, Savage Opress, and Quinlan Vos—while still apprenticed to Sidious.
History[edit | edit source]
- "I would hate to think you are training your own Sith apprentice to destroy me…"
"Never! My allegiance is to you and you alone."
"Then you must prove it. Eliminate her."
- ―Darth Sidious and Darth Tyranus, on Asajj Ventress.
Following the infighting among the Sith, the surviving Sith Lord, Darth Bane, created the Rule of Two, stating that there shall only be two; a master to embody the power and an apprentice to crave it. Darth Bane then took an apprentice, Darth Zannah, who was able to evade the Jedi when they killed Bane, although it was rumored that Zannah killed Bane in a lightsaber duel on Ambria. The Sith carried out the tradition in secret from the Jedi for over a millennium. Over the centuries of secret actions against the Jedi, apprentices had a tradition of using special starships known as Sith Infiltrators.
Sometime before the Invasion of Naboo, the Sith Lord Darth Sidious was trained by Darth Plagueis. They sought to achieve immortality and control the galaxy as rulers of a new Sith Empire. However, Sidious killed Plagueis in his sleep after learning everything he needed from him. The Sith tradition continued through Sidious and his own apprentice, Darth Maul, son of the Nightsister Mother Talzin.
Although Maul survived his battle with Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, Sidious replaced him by taking a new apprentice, Darth Tyranus who formed the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Tyranus also took control of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas' clone army, and eliminated him. He recruited the bounty hunter Jango Fett to be the clone template, and around this time he erased the data on Kamino from the Jedi Archives. Tyranus further ensured the success of his master's plans, allowing the Separatist Crisis to escalate into the Clone Wars before personally delivering the plans to the ultimate weapon to Sidious on Coruscant.
For three years, Tyranus led the Confederacy against the Galactic Republic. During this time, Tyranus trained the Dathomirian assassin Asajj Ventress. Although Ventress endeavored to prove herself as a worthy apprentice, Tyranus was forced to discard her during the Battle of Sullust when Sidious grew suspicious of their relationship. He subsequently searched for a new apprentice on Dathomir, Ventress' homeworld, where he found the Nightbrother Savage Opress. With Opress at his side, Tyranus resumed his plan to overthrow his master until he discovered that the Zabrak was part of Ventress' plan to get revenge on him. He later tried to turn the Jedi Quinlan Vos to the dark side, believing they could overthrow Sidious together as master and apprentice.
Tyranus remained Sidious' apprentice while Opress' training was continued by his brother Maul. Their claim to the mantle of the Sith led Sidious to confront his former apprentice, resulting in Opress' death and Maul's capture. Sidious ultimately sacrificed Tyranus in favor of a younger and stronger apprentice, the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker who was also the Chosen One destined to bring balance to the Force by destroying the Sith. Skywalker pledged his allegiance to Sidious, becoming a Sith apprentice under the name of Darth Vader. They ruled the Galactic Empire for a generation with Sidious as Galactic Emperor and Vader maintaining his status as a Sith apprentice.
During the Galactic Civil War, Vader tried to convince his son, Luke Skywalker, to become his apprentice and rule the galaxy as a family. Sidious had similar plans, intending to replace Vader with Skywalker. Instead, Skywalker resisted the dark side of the Force and inspired Vader to destroy his master at the cost of his life. After returning from death, Sidious conspired to train Vader's grandson, Kylo Ren, by using the strandcast Snoke as a proxy master. Although Ren was not a Sith, he was a product of Sith teachings as well as Jedi training. After learning that Sidious was his true master through Snoke, Ren endeavored to become the new Emperor and Dark Lord of the Sith.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (Appears as Force spirit and in flashbacks)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- Dark Disciple
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III—Antilles)
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Darth Sidious Biography Gallery on Star Wars.com (Image 1 caption)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster"
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel