- "Marat V – known to its inhabitants as Skye. Not many people in the Empire have heard of it; it's a restricted world."
- ―Han Solo to Leia Organa
Skye, designated Marat V by the Galactic Republic, was a terrestrial planet in the Outer Rim Territories and the home of the S'kytri people. Remaining isolated from the wider galaxy, the world attempted to gain admittance into the Council of Neutral Systems during the Clone Wars but was interrupted by an invasion led by Zeta Magnus.
History[edit | edit source]
Before developing into a terrestrial planet, ancient Skye was a turbulent world of seismic activity and violent unrest on its surface. Various beasts such as mutant blorgworms, five-headed gogitols, blood-sucking beasts roamed the planet's surface and contributed to the chaos before the birth of the S'kytri people. According to legend, the hero Hormaket the Vanquisher led the S'kytri in a war against the ground-roaming beasts and imprisoned them within the depths of the Entyrmion's subterranean hell. With the conclusion of the primordial warfare, the S'kytri established a primitive civilization and remained independent from other civilizations as much as they could.
Culture on the planet was divided into three distinct sets of clans: the Highland and Lowland Clans which governed the world, and the outcast Outland Clans which were deemed genetically inferior. Consisting of about one third of the planet's population, the Outlanders were castigated for having red or orange skin and banished from the aeries and cities of the green and blue-skinned S'kytri. During the Clone Wars, the Outland Clans joined forces with the mad geneticist Zeta Magnus in an attempt to destroy the other S'kytri clans. However, Magnus infected all S'kytri with a mind-ravishing plague which drove his loyal servants mad. Feasting on them as others launched suicidal campaigns against the mountain fortresses of their Highland and Lowland cousins, Magnus nearly wiped out the species before being driven offworld by Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Halagad Ventor. In exchange for the antidote to Magnus' plague, the planet's Patriarch and Supreme Council pledged fealty to the Jedi and vowed to fill any debt that was called.
Under the Galactic Empire's tyranny, Jedi Skywalker returned to Skye in his new guise as Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader. Calling on their debt, Vader established an Imperial puppet government on Skye, headed by the Force-sensitive Majestrix of Skye, Kharys. During this period, the planet was restricted, and anyone who set foot on it without a permit from Kharys was put on trial.
When a group of two-dozen Corellian smugglers landed on Skye without Kharys' consent, she executed them, all but Han Solo and Katya M'Buele who escaped the planet. Not long after, in 0 ABY, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Solo traveled to Skye and confronted Kharys. With the backing of the Supreme Council, Skywalker attacked Kharys in lightsaber combat and defeated her, therefore liberating the planet from the Empire's grip.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- SkyeWalkers: A Clone Wars Story
- CIS Shadowfeed Dispatch 15:01:15 Edition (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Annual 1: The Long Hunt (First appearance)
- Before the Storm (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "ComicScan: Paint Him Black"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 11
- "ComicScan: Where Leia Lets Loose"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 12
- The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Marvel Series"—Star Wars Gamer 1 "
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 122
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- "Authors of the Expanded Universe: Chris Claremont"—Star Wars Insider 146
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook