- "I don't sleep well anymore."
- ―Anakin Skywalker, admitting his troubling visions to Obi-Wan Kenobi
Sleep was a biological process engaged in by many beings, both sentient and non-sentient, such as humans for the purpose of rest and rejuvenation. Sentient beings that slept generally did so according to a set routine and often utilized a comfortable piece of furniture, such as a bed, for the purpose. During sleep, many beings experienced dreams, nighttime visions that often played out as fantastical versions of things they had seen in real-life. A lack of sleep could have deleterious effects on one's psyche.
REM sleep was a type of sleep, the lacking of which proved to be detrimental to the mental health of Kiffar Quinlan Vos. Such a phase was routinely prevented from occuring to the prisoner by the Confederacy of Independent Systems via mechanical detection and immediate electrical shocking to the subject, which would awake the imprisoned and lead to psychological exhaustion. This deprivation aided the fall of Vos to the dark side of the Force.
After Anakin Skywalker began experiencing Force visions during sleep of his mother, Shmi Skywalker Lars, dying, he began having trouble sleeping. He later experienced this same problem after witnessing a Force vision during sleep of his wife Padmé Amidala dying in childbirth. Darth Sidious killed his master, Darth Plagueis, in his sleep.
Although droids, as mechanical beings, could not sleep, it was possible for at least some to "power down," experiencing a similar state in which they were not active, but could be brought back to an active state at moment's notice.
Some users of the Force could use their powers to sedate, as Qui-Gon Jinn demonstrated on Jar Jar Binks, or even to induce sleep and render a person unconscious, as Kylo Ren demonstrated on Rey and Mace Windu demonstrated on Rako Hardeen.
- Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 39 (Helmets: Zam Wesell)
- Dawn of Rebellion
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 68 (Databank A-Z: Pre Vizsla–Quinlan Vos)
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Dark Disciple
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Deception"
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire