Solar sailers were a method of propulsion used by some starships. Although called "solar" sailers, they were more commonly propelled by tachyon streams and ultraviolet lasers rather than the photons and "solar wind" (high-energy plasma which escaped a star's gravity) of sunlight. Gathered on a sufficiently large surface (solar sails would unfurl to colossal diameters, rivaling the surface area of moons), the absorbed momentum would then accelerate the spacecraft. Once optimal velocity had been reached, the hyperdrive motivator would kick in and allow the craft to enter hyperspace.
While cheap and easy to produce, solar sails were not widely used as a propulsion system, for three main reasons: the first was that the sail was at its most efficient when traveling close and directly away from a star. Solar wind and photons were only exploitable in the general vicinity of a star, and changing directions would imply either the use of gravity from a nearby stellar object, or the inclination of the whole sail. The second reason was the sail's size: even a small ship would require a very large sail to be accelerated to hyperspace entry velocity, thus increasing the overall ship's size. This could be averted to a point by storing the sail away when not in use. The third reason was that the sail was rather fragile: micrometeorites and random stellar debris could very quickly—and irrevocably—shred a solar sail to the point of uselessness.[source?]
A major advantage of the solar sail, however, was that since it used no on-board fuel, it left no readily identifiable residues, and its passage was virtually undetectable once the ship had departed.
Count Dooku had a one-of-a-kind solar sail procured from the Gree Enclave fitted to his Punworcca 116-class interstellar sloop, which he used as his personal transport prior to and during the Clone Wars. Very small for a sailer, with a sail of exotic matter powered by mysterious undetectable energies, Dooku's interstellar sloop was one of the most unique craft in the galaxy.
List of known solar sailers[edit | edit source]
- Ginivex-class starfighter
- Jemlaat-class in-system sail yacht
- Koros-Strohna worldships
- Punworcca-116 interstellar sloops
- Starbreaker 12
- Sun jammer
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Non-canonical appearance)
- Jango Fett: Open Seasons
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- The Eyes of Revolution
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Most Precious Weapon
- Republic 49: Sacrifice
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 6"
- Jedi: Mace Windu
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars 5
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Volume 1: Shipyards of Doom
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured"
- The Clone Wars 11: Hero of the Confederacy, Part 2
- The Clone Wars 12: Hero of the Confederacy, Part 3
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- Legacy of the Jedi
- Republic 63: Striking from the Shadows
- Star Wars—Free Comic Book Day 2005 Special
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars: The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (Non-canonical appearance)
- Junior Jedi Knights: Vader's Fortress (First appearance)
- Junior Jedi Knights: Kenobi's Blade
- "Firestorm"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded (as Corellian solar sails)
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised (as Corellian solar sails)
- Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones Incredible Cross-Sections
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Art of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "solar sail")
- The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide