Shaela Nuur's Solari crystal was one of the oldest and most powerful lightsaber crystals of the Jedi Order. It was a light orange gem that only a Jedi who was pure in spirit and an ardent follower of the light side of the Force could use. It could not be corrupted by the dark side and its owner had to always stay pure of heart for it to function.
Before the great Jedi Master Ood Bnar initiated his life-cycle change after a thousand years of serving the Order, he bequeathed the Solari crystal to his most promising student, a young Jedi named Shaela Nuur. When Shaela disappeared shortly after the end of the Great Hunt, the Solari crystal vanished with her, but was later found by a reformed Revan in the tomb of Naga Sadow on Korriban.
Although the Solari crystal was an artifact of light side power, the Heart of the Guardian and Mantle of the Force lightsaber crystals could remove the light side restriction and allow a non-lightsider to use the crystal.
Additional Solari crystals, while rare, were not as difficult to come by as some of the rarest of crystals, such as the Kaiburr crystal or the companion crystals known as the Heart of the Guardian and the Mantle of the Force. The solari crystal was only visible in the late evening and was found on the planet Sacorria, a peaceful yet secretive planet, and the frozen world of Rhen Var. Utilizing the crystal in one's lightsaber would increase the width of its blade, increasing a Jedi's ability to deflect blaster bolts.
- "Shadows and Light"—Star Wars Tales 23
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Non-canon appearance)
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual