Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition is the novelization of the 2018 Anthology film, Solo: A Star Wars Story. The novelization features extended and alternate content not featured in the film, such as a look at Han Solo's career in the Imperial Navy and the events that led Qi'ra to Crimson Dawn. It was written by Mur Lafferty and first published by Del Rey on September 4, 2018 in hardcover and eBook formats. A paperback edition was released on April 30, 2019.
Don't miss the exclusive content in this thrilling adaptation of Solo: A Star Wars Story, with scenes from alternate versions of the script including Han Solo's time in the Imperial Navy, Qi'ra's past, the beginnings of the rebellion, and more!
Young Han dreams of someday soaring into space at the helm of his own starship and leaving his home, the gritty industrial planet Corellia, far behind. But as long as he's trapped in a life of poverty and crime—and under the thumb of the sinister Lady Proxima and her brutal street gang—reaching the distant stars seems impossible. When Han tries to escape with his girlfriend and partner-in-crime, Qi'ra, he makes it out—but she doesn't. Desperate for a way to find his own offworld vessel and free her, Han enlists in the Imperial Navy—the last place for a rebellious loner who doesn't play well with others.
When the Empire clips his wings, Han goes rogue and plunges into the shady world of smugglers, gamblers, and con artists. There he meets the charming and cunning high roller Lando Calrissian, makes an unlikely friend in a cantankerous Wookiee called Chewbacca, and first lays eyes on the Millennium Falcon. To snag his piece of the outlaw pie, Han joins a crew of pirates to pull off a risky heist. The stakes are high, the danger is great, and the odds are slim. But never tell Han Solo the odds.
As revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con 2018, the novel would expand the story by including scenes from alternate versions of the script written by Lawrence and Jon Kasdan along with additional content, like deeper insights of Han Solo's years in the Imperial Navy, Qi'ra's past and the beginning of the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
In an interview with StarWars.com, Mur Lafferty revealed that she initially envisioned having Bail Organa and a young Leia Organa receiving Enfys Nest's coaxium in the novel's epilogue, but the timeframe made using Saw Gerrera and a young Jyn Erso a better choice.
- ISBN 9780525619390; September 4, 2018; Del Rey; US hardcover
- ISBN 9781984800701; September 4, 2018; Del Rey; US hardcover, Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition
- ISBN 9780525619406; September 4, 2018; Del Rey; US eBook
- ISBN 9781984819369; September 4, 2018; Del Rey; International edition
- ISBN 9781984800718; September 4, 2018; Del Rey; Signed edition
- ISBN 9781984819284; April 30, 2019; Del Rey; US paperback
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and references
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide establishes that the events of Solo: A Star Wars Story begin nine years after the founding of the Galactic Empire, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 19 BBY. Therefore Solo, which this novel adapts, takes place in 10 BBY, and the prologue that takes place three years prior is set in 13 BBY.