- "At Sooncanoo Beacon, the enemy massacred every crewmember of the Fortieth Flotilla when a bold gambit to boost their shields failed and left them dead in space."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Nagratha
During the Waymancy Storm of 7811 BBY, the Fortieth Flotilla of the Republic underwent a risky attempt to boost the deflector shields of its starships at Sooncanoo Beacon. The attempt failed, leaving the flotilla to float powerless in space. Subsequently, one of the parties affiliated with the Republic's enemy in the war, the Signatories of Waymancy, massacred every crewmember of the Fortieth Flotilla. At a speech delivered on the 25th anniversary of Victory in the Waymancy Storm in 7786 BBY, the Republic's Supreme Chancellor Nagratha noted the massacre at Sooncanoo Beacon as one of the bloodiest events of the Waymancy Storm.
Behind the scenes
Sooncanoo Beacon was originally meant to be mentioned in the 2012 reference book The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and Paul R. Urquhart; however, the section that would have mentioned the beacon, authored by Daniel Wallace, was cut before the book's release. The information regarding Sooncanoo Beacon was later released in 2014 as part of Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare Author's Cut, a series of articles published on the StarWars.com Blog by Fry and Del Rey editor Erich Schoeneweiss containing various cut content from The Essential Guide to Warfare.
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Sooncanoo system — Based on corresponding data for
- Sooncanoo system, and therefore Sooncanoo Beacon, in grid K-8 as part of the Inner Rim. Furthermore, The Essential Guide to Warfare places the star system in the trailing direction from the Namadii Corridor hyperlane. The Essential Atlas places the corresponding section of grid square K-8 in the Northern Dependencies. places the
- The Essential Guide to Warfare