Spacetroopers were stormtroopers equipped to operate in Zero-G environments. They wore a variant of the stormtrooper armor fitted with a rebreather pack. They wielded both an E-11 blaster rifle and a specialized heavy blaster. At the time of the Galactic Civil War, spacetroopers were part of the stormtrooper contingent aboard the Chimaera, the flagship of Grand Admiral Thrawn's Seventh Fleet. At one point, Thrawn ordered the deployment of a spacetrooper patrol in order to examine the hull of a wrecked way station. Spacetroopers were later used to patrol the outside of the Death Star, a moon-sized battle station.
Behind the scenes
Spacetroopers appeared unidentified in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. They were both played by ILM's Joe Johnston using a split screen technique because there was only one suit available on the day of filming, the other having been stolen. They were identified as Spacetroopers at Celebration Anaheim.
They were originally set to appear in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, going as far as building a full costume used during the promotional photoshoot. However, they were replaced by normal stormtroopers in the space sequences, where it was planned they would be used, in the final film.
- Thrawn: Treason
- Thrawn: Treason audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy audiobook
- Star Wars (2020) 8
- (First identified as spacetrooper)
- Gadgets and Gear
- Star Wars Bust Collection 2 (Star Wars Universe: Stormtroopers) (Indirect mention only)