The Special Operations Brigade (SO BDE) was the special operations division of the Grand Army of the Republic, made up of clone commandos, clone assassins, Advanced Recon Commandos, and clone shadow troopers.
History[edit | edit source]
As the Clone Wars began, the Jedi Order formed the Special Operations Brigade to complete independent, specialized operations for the Galactic Senate, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, and the Jedi High Council. Stationed with Arca Company Barracks, the Special Ops Brigade was led by Jedi General Iri Camas and later Jedi General Arligan Zey. When General Zey took command, the brigade consisted of 10,000 troops.[source?]
Command structure[edit | edit source]
- Special Operations Brigade —20 Commando Groups (10,000 troopers plus support personnel), commanded by Jedi General Arligan Zey.
Notable units[edit | edit source]
- Aiwha Squad
- Blue Squad
- Ion Team
- Tark Squad
- The Muunilinst 10
- Zero Five Commando
- Ord Cestus Squad
- Yayax Squad
Special ops variants[edit | edit source]
- Clone commandos mostly conducted direct action and special recon missions, in a tactical capacity.
- Alpha-class Advanced Recon Commandos served a more strategic purpose, conducting special reconnaissance and special sabotage missions. They were more obedient and reliable to the Jedi than the Null-Class ARCs.
- Null-class Advanced Recon Commandos specialized in reconnaissance. Less obedient than the Alpha-class ARCs.
- Shadow troopers specialized in gathering intelligence, special sabotage missions, counter intelligence, combating terrorism and espionage.
- Clone assassins were trained specifically to eliminate Jedi in case of their rebellion against the Senate and the Republic by utilizing Teräs Käsi, a form of unarmed combat.
One notable exception was the Covert Ops clone troopers. They were elite clones of the GAR assigned to doing 'dirty work' that most clones would find questionable and unethical for the Republic. The Director of Special Forces ignored the existence of those clones for a long time and they were supposed to take orders from the Office of the Supreme Chancellor.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars novel (Mentioned only)
- Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact
- Omega Squad: Targets
- Republic Commando: Triple Zero
- Republic Commando: True Colors
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- Imperial Commando: 501st (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront: Mobile Squadrons
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Star Wars Annual 2009
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare