The Spiral was a Corellian Engineering Corporation CR90 corvette that operated as a privateer vessel for the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War fought by the Alliance against the Galactic Empire. Operated by a veteran crew with communications expert Del Goren a former member by 0 BBY, the Spiral ambushed multiple Imperial convoys, and the corvette was notorious for arriving at its destination when it was least expected.
A privateer vessel, the Spiral was a CR90 corvette affiliated with the Rebel Alliance. The hyperdrive-equipped starship was manufactured by the Corellian Engineering Corporation. The Spiral's spoked forward viewport differed from those found on other CR90 corvettes.
Operational in the time before the Battle of Yavin, the Spiral was a Rebel Alliance privateer vessel which was in service during the Galactic Civil War, a conflict that was fought between the Alliance and the Galactic Empire. In the course of its service, the corvette launched several successful ambushes on Imperial convoys. The Spiral established a name for itself by repeatedly reaching its destination when least expected.
Commanders and crew
The Spiral was operated by a veteran crew. One of the individuals who served aboard the privateer corvette was the Human male Del Goren, a communications expert also skilled in scanner jamming. Goren later joined the Alliance High Command. In the year 0 BBY, Goren served at the High Command's headquarters, Massassi Station on the moon Yavin 4, during the Battle of Yavin.
Behind the scenes
The Spiral was first mentioned on the "Rebel Tech" card in the A New Hope Limited expansion pack of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. The privateer corvette later received its own dedicated card in the Special Edition Limited expansion pack, which was its first visual depiction. The image used to depict the Spiral is actually that of a concept model for the CR90 corvette Tantive IV; the "spoked window" viewport was later replaced by a thin horizontal viewport on the final design.
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Rebel Tech) (backup link) (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Spiral) (backup link) (First pictured)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Goren, Del")
Notes and references
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Spiral) (backup link)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Rebel Tech) (backup link)
- The image used to depict the Spiral is actually that of a concept model for the Tantive IV, with the latter CR90 corvette's appearance in the Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope film ultimately having a narrow horizontal viewport. The depiction of the Spiral as a CR90 corvette with a "spoked" viewport in-universe differs from the appearance of the Tantive IV and other official depictions of CR90 corvettes; another example of one with a horizontal viewport can be seen here, in an image from the The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Sculpting a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars Model Shop