Squid Lake was a Mon Calamari ballet. Shortly after the Battle of Coruscant, the dance was performed at the Galaxies Opera House on Coruscant. It was during this performance that Supreme Chancellor Palpatine told Anakin Skywalker the story of Darth Plagueis and how the Dark Lord of the Sith was able to save those he loved from death.
Behind the scenes
- "My now-wife and I were going out to dinner and I got a call, which I rarely did, asking me develop ideas for a scene that George wanted to change. He wanted the scene to take place at a ballet or an opera. He said, Think about it being Swan Lake, or Squid Lake with squid guys. So I was thinking that we could do a space twist on a water ballet and have this giant ball of water in zero-gravity. So I sent these paintings over the next day and they ran with it. Once the paintings got approved, George sent me to Vegas where they have the Cirque du Soleil show O. He sent me to take notes so we could really nail the final look."
- ―Ryan Church
The scene where Palpatine recounts the story of Darth Plagueis to Anakin Skywalker was originally supposed to take place in the Chancellor's office, but George Lucas felt that there were too many scenes in this locale already. Wanting something different, he decided to move the scene to a ballet or opera house. Concept artist Ryan Church came up with the idea of a giant anti-gravity water ball and designed the look of the show. The name of the ballet is a reference to the famous real-world ballet Swan Lake. The look of the show was partially inspired by the water-themed Cirque du Soleil show O.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Revenge of the Sith Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (First identified as Squid Lake)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- (Picture only)