- "Most Jedi have felt the temptation of the dark side. It is only natural. But we resist it. It is a deliberate path to the dark, not a series of bad days. Being a Jedi is about choosing the light over and over again."
Sskeer was a Trandoshan male Jedi Master of the Jedi Order during the High Republic Era. Gruff and opinionated, Sskeer concealed a secret that threatened to tear him apart. Sometime after losing his left arm during the Battle of Kur, where he also lost his close friend, Jedi Master Jora Malli, Sskeer took his Padawan, Keeve Trennis, to the planet Shuraden for her Jedi Trials. Although they did not go as planned due to a disturbance from a species of star-locust called the ridadi, Sskeer's Padawan was nonetheless knighted due to her heroic actions to save a small city from being destroyed.
When Starlight Beacon picked up a scrambled distress signal from the Kazlin system, Sskeer, Trennis, and the Kotabi bond-twins Terec and Ceret took a T-1 shuttle to investigate. The Jedi encountered a trashed starship with bodies and wreckage floating around it. They boarded the ship to search for survivors.
Sskeer commanded his companions to don their rebreathers as they realized the ship was filled gas, which was typical for a ship attacked by the Nihil attack. Sskeer split the force in two, going with and Terec to search the rest of the ship as Trennis and Ceret went towards the flight deck. When the other two encountered a dead Hutt, Sskeer noticed grain on the floor, guessing that it was barley. Just then, they were attacked by a lone Nihil marauder, who injured Terec. An enraged Sskeer chased down their foe and quickly slew him, even continuing to slash at the bisected corpse in his rage.
Sskeer reported that they had found no survivors, only an abandoned member of the Nihil, saying that they were animals that had no honor. Avar Kriss, who was Marshal of Starlight Beacon, warned Sskeer against demonizing their enemies, to which Sskeer responded that he would attempt to find peace through meditation. However, Kriss assigned him and Ceret the task of going to the Sedri system to find the origin of the shipment of Vratixia renanicus, the grain that he had identified onboard. They took the ship to the system as Trennis and Terec waited for Kriss to arrive with Jedi Knight Vernestra Rwoh. As they arrived on Sedri Minor, Sskeer was told by a local Artiodac Kalo Sulman that Jedi were not welcome in their independent colony.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "Sskeer plays a major role in the Marvel Comics ongoing and is an absolute joy to write."
- ―Cavan Scott
Sskeer is a character created for the Star Wars: The High Republic publishing program who features in the Marvel Comics series of the same name, written by Cavan Scott. Scott was inspired to create Sskeer by early concept art drawn by Phil Noto that featured a Trandoshan.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Into the Dark
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First appearance, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook, The High Republic: The Great Jedi Rescue, The High Republic: A Test of Courage, and The High Republic: A Test of Courage audiobook)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook
- The High Republic: The Great Jedi Rescue
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage audiobook
- The High Republic 1
- The High Republic 2
- The High Republic 3
- The High Republic 4
- The High Republic 5
- The High Republic 6
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First pictured)
- "Knights at the Roundtable"—Star Wars Insider 199
- "Launchpad"—Star Wars Insider 201 (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The High Republic 1 Behind-the-Scenes Exclusive
- "Launchpad"—Star Wars Insider 202