- "The strongest stars have hearts of kyber."
- ―Chirrut Îmwe
Description[edit | edit source]
Stars were large celestial bodies that generated heat, light and radiation and consisted of a mass of burning plasma and gas. Resistance member Karé Kun once referred to them as "giant balls of exploding gas". Stars came in various different sizes and types, such as red dwarves, brown dwarfs, yellow dwarfs, red giants, blue-white stars, and blue dwarves.
Birth of a star[edit | edit source]
Stars formed in areas of space known as stellar nurseries, through a collision of energies in the form of pressure and heat, a process which shaped the space around it and could be seen from millions of kilometers away. The ignition of a planet's core by an outside force, could also result in the formation of a star. After their birth, stars went through various stages during their life, such as a yellow dwarf expanding to become a red giant. Plants drew sustenance from sunlight.
Stars and planets[edit | edit source]
Most stars were orbited by a set of planets and other bodies. In that case, they were referred to as suns. A sun, together with all the bodies bound to it, formed a planetary system. In some cases, a planetary system could contain several suns, as was the case around the planets of Tatooine and Mon Cala.
A planet revolving around a star normally received light and warmth from it, although there were exceptions. Umbara was known as the "Shadow World" because the rays of its sun never completely reached the planet's surface, keeping it in perpetual darkness. In the night sky, remote stars looked like mere points of light. By convention, those points of light were grouped into constellations. Without a star, most worlds would become lifeless and frozen. The size and distance of a sun would effect many of the features of a planet orbiting it.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Because space travel is a central part of Star Wars, stars appear in many Star Wars works. This is a list of media in which stars and suns are specifically mentioned (not including common compounds like "star system", "starship", "starfighter" or "Star Destroyer", or names like "Death Star" or "Black Sun").
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 2" (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 3"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Age of Resistance - Poe Dameron 1
- Before the Awakening
- Heir to the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia