- "He was an important character that they had sort of marked for this honor. It was Leia, Lando and now Chewy from the old cast that were getting their turns in the spotlight — and I couldn't be more delighted about helping bring this story out into the world."
- ―Gerry Duggan, on Lucasfilm's decision to create Star Wars: Chewbacca
Star Wars: Chewbacca is a five-issue comic book miniseries by Gerry Duggan, with art by Phil Noto. The series, set directly after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, began on October 14, 2015, and concluded on December 30, 2015. The story sees Chewbacca, the titular character, temporarily stranded on a planet during a mission for the Rebel Alliance. With the help of a friend, he comes into conflict with the Galactic Empire.
Development[edit | edit source]
Star Wars: Chewbacca was first announced in an MTV exclusive on July 10, 2015. The limited run series, which began releasing in October 2015, was written by Gerry Duggan with art by Phil Noto. Marvel Comics editor Jordan D. White offered Duggan the chance to write a series about Chewbacca, and Duggan jumped at the chance to work on the property. According to Duggan, Lucasfilm considered Chewbacca important enough to have his own solo series, following in the footsteps of Star Wars: Princess Leia and Star Wars: Lando.
One of the first things that the creative team talked about for the series was how to handle Chewbacca's dialogue, as he does not speak in Galactic Basic. Duggan told MTV that Noto has the right talent to be able to tell the story with or without dialogue from the main character. For internal Lucasfilm and Marvel use, however, Duggan did write two versions of each roar, including one in English.
Media[edit | edit source]
|Color code key:|
|Collected (TPB) issue||Released issue||Future issue|
|Issue||Title||Publication date||Trade paperback||Hardcover|
|1||Part I||October 14, 2015||
March 8, 2016
Heroes For a New Hope
November 15, 2016
|2||Part II||October 28, 2015|
|3||Part III||November 11, 2015|
|4||Part IV||November 25, 2015|
|5||Part V||December 30, 2015|
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Zalben, Alex (2015-07-10). Exclusive: 'Star Wars' Spins Off 'Chewbacca' Into His Own Solo Adventures. MTV. Archived from the original on August 2, 2020. Retrieved on July 10, 2015.
- MARVEL COMICS December 2015 Solicitations. Newsarama.com (2015-09-15). Archived from the original on September 19, 2015. Retrieved on September 15, 2015.
- Star Wars: Chewbacca Series Announced At Comic-Con. ComicBook.com (2015-07-10). Archived from the original on September 11, 2020.
- Zalben, Alex (2015-07-10). Exclusive: 'Star Wars' Spins Off 'Chewbacca' Into His Own Solo Adventures. MTV. Archived from the original on December 29, 2016. Retrieved on July 10, 2015. places Star Wars: Chewbacca directly after Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 0 ABY.
- Marvel Book Previews: Jan.–Apr. 2016. Edelweiss Catalogs. Archived from the original on October 11, 2017. Retrieved on August 1, 2015.
- MARVEL COMICS November 2015 Solicitations. Newsarama. Archived from the original on May 13, 2020. Retrieved on August 18, 2015.