Star Wars: Shadow of Vader was a 5-issue comic book miniseries that focused on Darth Vader's influence on the galaxy across eras. Each issue would have followed a different character or group, reflecting on how their encounter(s) with Vader changed their lives. Chuck Wendig was originally announced to write the miniseries, but was fired from Marvel in October 2018 after a series of negative tweets. According to Wendig, at least issues 4 and 5 of the miniseries would no longer be written by him.
During the New York Comic Con 2018, Wendig told the attendees from what the stories of the issues would be about: the first issue was an homage to Friday the 13th, with Vader hunting down kids at a summer camp; the second issue involved the Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back background character Willrow Hood; the third issue centered on a morgue attendant on the Death Star battle station; the fourth issue diverged to focus on the Acolytes of the Beyond, first seen in Wendig's The Aftermath Trilogy; and the fifth isue followed a New Republic pilot–whose parents were killed by Vader–who joins the Resistance only to learn that Leia Organa's father was none other than Vader himself.
The series was to be published by Marvel Comics starting November 2018, but was delayed until February 2019 as it wasn't mentioned in January's solicitations. Wendig later speculated at his Twitter account that perhaps Marvel would hire a new writer to rewrite the first three issues or that the series has been cancelled. On November 15, 2018, however, it was officially confirmed by Marvel via Bleeding Cool that the series had effectively been cancelled.
|Issue||Title||Publication date||Trade paperback|
|1||Shadow of Vader 1||Star Wars: Shadow of Vader|
|2||Shadow of Vader 2|
|3||Shadow of Vader 3|
|4||Shadow of Vader 4|
|5||Shadow of Vader 5|
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 McMillan, Graeme (October 12, 2018). 'Star Wars' Comic Writer Says Marvel Fired Him For Social Media Behavior. The Hollywood Reporter. hollywoodreporter.com.
- ↑ New Star Wars Books And Comics Were Announced At NYCC. Kotaku.
- ↑ Schmidt, J.K. (2018-10-17). Chuck Wendig's 'Shadow of Vader' Star Wars Series Has Been Pulled From Marvel's Schedule. ComicBook.com. Retrieved on October 18, 2018.
- ↑ McMillan, Graeme (2018-10-17). The five-part comic book series is absent from the company's January 2019 releases.. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on October 18, 2018.
- ↑ Johnston, Rich (November 15, 2018). Marvel Cancels All Of Star Wars: Shadow Of Vader by Chuck Wendig. Bleeding Cool. bleedingcool.com.