- "Episode VIII–bit Tiny Death Star: The Emperor is building a Death Star level by level, and he needs your help...."
- ―The opening crawl from the official Star Wars YouTube channel
Star Wars: Tiny Death Star is a mobile game developed by Disney Mobile in collaboration with LucasArts and NimbleBit. It was announced on the Disney Interactive website on October 4, 2013. The game was released in Australia on October 11, 2013 for Android, and on October 15 for iPhone. It was later released worldwide on the iTunes App Store, Google Apps store, Windows Phone Store, and Windows Store on November 7, 2013.
In October 2014, less than a year after its launch, the game was removed from the Apple and Google stores by Disney "to focus on priority titles like Star Wars: Commander." Developer Nimblebit had not been informed by Disney prior to the removal.
The Empire needs your help! In collaboration with LucasArts and Tiny Tower creators NimbleBit, Disney Mobile introduces Star Wars™: Tiny Death Star™, a new game for mobile devices. Live life on the dark side and join Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader on a mission to attract Galactic bitizens, run intergalactic businesses, and build an all-new Death Star. Construct unique Star Wars themed locations to attract iconic characters and species to your space station in this 8-bit style game. Star Wars: Tiny Death Star will soon be available worldwide.
- "Lord Vader, I have a plan to fund the completion of the Death Star. Through the power of commerce, the Death Star will reach its full potential!"
- ―Palpatine to Darth Vader
The game starts with a small tutorial where the player creates the first level. Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader give commands to the player. Building levels attracts "bitizens" who give the player credits to spend on buildings and products inside businesses to earn more currency. The player must also act as the turbolift driver, transporting the bitizens to their desired levels. Certain scenes are unlockable, and there are certain mini-missions such as finding Rebel infiltrators.
In advance of the holidays, on December 12, 2013, the app was updated to include the chance to decorate the Death Star with new decorator droids. The app was expanded with the Imperial update on February 6, 2014, adding new missions and features.
An in-depth review called the gameplay simple enough to be highly approachable and inviting. The reviewer also noted that earning Imperial Bux can be an onerous task. Overall, the reviewer was pleased with the game, giving it four out of five stars, and noted its fan service and graphics.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Introducing 'Star Wars: Tiny Death Star'. Disney Interactive. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Tiny Death Star Available For Android in Australia and NZ. The International House of Mojo. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Tiny Death Star Available For iOS in Australia. The International House of Mojo. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Tiny Death Star
- ↑ Star Wars: Tiny Death Star on the App Store on iTunes
- ↑ Gameinformer.com: Disney Torpedoes Tiny Death Star Without Alerting Developer Nimblebit In Advance
- ↑ Brian Nelson (5). Imperial Update Unleashed for ‘Star Wars: Tiny Death Star’ (Article). DisneyInteractive.com. Retrieved on February 9, 2014.
- ↑ Futter, Mike (October 3, 2014). Disney Torpedoes Tiny Death Star Without Alerting Developer Nimblebit In Advance. gameinformer.com. Retrieved on October 9, 2014.
- ↑ Matulef, Jeffrey (October 7, 2014). Disney removes Tiny Death Star without telling the developer. eurogame.net. Retrieved on October 9, 2014.
- ↑ Star Wars: Tiny Death Star -- Trailer. YouTube. Retrieved on November 9, 2013.
- ↑ Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (Article). Metacritic.com (16). Retrieved on February 9, 2014.
- ↑ Eric Ford (15). 'Star Wars: Tiny Death Star' Review – The Bitizens Strike Back (Article). TouchArcade.com. Retrieved on February 9, 2014.
- Introducing 'Star Wars: Tiny Death Star'. Disney Interactive.
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star -- Trailer. YouTube.
- Tiny Death Star Wiki