- "We're doing the biggest story we've done so far. The movie of the Marvel Star Wars comic books."
- ―Jason Aaron
Star Wars: Vader Down is a Marvel comic book crossover event. The six-issue run began with Vader Down 1 and continues in the comic series Star Wars and Star Wars: Darth Vader. Vader Down is considered the third story arc in the Star Wars series, and is written by Jason Aaron, author of Star Wars, and Kieron Gillen, author of Darth Vader. The crossover event brings together characters from both series, as Darth Vader faces off against the Rebel Alliance on his own.
- "It's called Vader Down and the core image is Vader against the entire Rebel army and fleet. It's Vader with an array of people in front of him and he's in a precarious situation. What happens then?"
- ―Kieron Gillen
Star Wars: Vader Down was announced at San Diego Comic-Con in 2015, along with an interview with authors Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen on StarWars.com. The six-issue comic book run was conceived as a crossover event between Aaron's Star Wars and Gillen's Star Wars: Darth Vader. The two comics are told alongside each other, in the same chronological order, including having both of their first arcs end with Darth Vader discovering that Luke Skywalker is his son. By creating a crossover, the two authors were able to create what Aaron referred to as a larger and more epic movie-style event for the Marvel Star Wars comic book line. The crossover also gives them the opportunity to have characters from both series meet one another, such as Doctor Aphra meeting Han Solo.
The story was conceived by the two authors, who found it a joy to cross over and work with each other's characters. Their working environment allowed them to rely on one another to write the characters well, and to ask questions of one another as needed. In the story they wrote, Darth Vader faces down Rebel Alliance forces on his own. Gillen explained that it shows Vader up against the entire Alliance army and fleet, with survival his only goal. This allows Vader to be depicted as the hunted, rather than the hunter, and doing whatever it takes to survive. As a result, the writers had the opportunity to depict a dangerous Vader in a way that had not yet been canonically depicted. The story of the six-part run begins in Vader Down 1 and continues into the Star Wars and Darth Vader series.
|Color code key:|
|Collected (TPB) issue||Released issue||Future issue|
|Issue||Title||Publication Date||Trade Paperback||Hardcover||Omnibus|
|1||Vader Down 1||November 18, 2015|
April 19, 2016
text=Darth Vader Volume 2
February 28, 2017
September 19, 2017
March 12, 2019
|2||Darth Vader 13||November 25, 2015|
|3||Star Wars 13||December 2, 2015|
|4||Darth Vader 14||December 23, 2015|
|5||Star Wars 14||January 6, 2016|
|6||Darth Vader 15||January 6, 2016|
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 MARVEL COMICS December 2015 Solicitations. Newsarama.com (September 15, 2015). Retrieved on September 15, 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Burlingame, Russ (2015-07-27). EXCLUSIVE: Marvel's Star Wars To Sell More than 200,000 Copies in Collected Edition. ComicBook.com. Retrieved on July 27, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Shipping Updates: (09/08). PREVIEWSworld. Retrieved on September 14, 2015.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 MARVEL COMICS January 2016 Solicitations. Newsarama.com (September 20, 2015). Retrieved on October 22, 2015.
- ↑ Star Wars 6
- ↑ Darth Vader 6
- ↑ 10.0 10.1