- "I've thoroughly tested you... made you perform in a hostile environment... probed your emotions by placing your friends in jeopardy. I now know your limits... and your limitations!"
- ―Darth Vader
Star Wars 37: In Mortal Combat is the thirty-seventh issue in the Marvel Star Wars series of comics.
Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader enter the dangerous Crystal Valley as arranged by Domina Tagge, her plan is to not only have Luke killed, but Vader as well since he was a long time rival of her brother Baron Orman Tagge. The Millennium Falcon arrives on the planet on the order of Baron Tagge, and he enters the Crystal Valley to confront Vader. Vader reveals to Orman that his sister is not as innocent as the eldest Tagge would believe and convinces him to duel Luke in Vader's place. Orman does so, but Vader makes a visual illusion so that Luke believes he is really fighting Vader. Luke kills Orman and escapes the Crystal Valley, and is reunited with his Rebel comrades.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Behind the scenesEdit
The last page of this issue shows "Jabba the Hutt" reinstating Han Solo's debt to him after he forgave it in Star Wars 28: What Ever Happened to Jabba the Hut?. He is, however, erroneously illustrated. The article "Red Five" in Star Wars Insider 149 establishes that the "Jabba" in the Marvel comics is in fact Jabba's Nimbanel accountant Mosep Binneed, who sometimes used Jabba's name in interactions.
It is also possible that the very last page was meant to depict an encounter with the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, referenced in The Empire Strikes Back, although canon version of this event was later featured elsewhere.
- Star Wars: A Long Time Ago... Volume 2: Dark Encounters
- Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago.... Volume 2
- Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 1
- Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Original Marvel Years Vol. 2
Notes and referencesEdit