Star Wars 48, also published as Vader vs. Leia 1, is the forty-eighth issue of the Legends comic book series Star Wars. It was written by Larry Hama, illustrated by Carmine Infantino, and first published on March 24, 1981 by Marvel Comics.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
Princess Leia Organa, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Rebellion finance minister Viscount Tardi arrive on the banking world of Aargau to complete the financing of a sale of X-wing fighters to the Rebellion. Also on the planet is Darth Vader and his entourage of paid assassins specializing in unarmed combat as it is forbidden for non-citizens of Aargau to carry weapons.
Vader's assassins make several attempts on Tardi's life, but Leia's quick wit succeeds in not only saving the Viscount, but destroying the assassins as well. Ultimately Vader is forced to play his hand and he cuts Tardi down with his lightsaber, but Viscount Tardi is actually just a droid made in his image, and the real Tardi had died months ago. Leia had R2 record video images of the "murder" and transmit them to C-3PO who is waiting at police headquarters to prevent Vader from exposing their ruse to the authorities. Leia needed the fake Viscount to secure the loan, and she used the Crown Jewels of Alderaan as indisputable collateral, but knowing that the authorities would have discovered that Tardi was a fake when they passed through Aargau's security scanners as soon as they attempted to leave the planet, it was necessary for Leia to manipulate Darth Vader into destroying the duplicate.
Darth Vader has also been manipulating Princess Leia as he really has no interest in preventing her financial deal for the starfighters; he actually wanted to take possession of the priceless jewels. He bribed an officer at the local customs station and succeeded in acquiring the treasure. He had only played along with Leia's plan to ensure he could leave the planet without the jewels being missed by the authorities.
Media[edit | edit source]
Editions[edit | edit source]
- UPC 071486028178; March 24, 1981; Marvel Comics; First printing
- (No UPC); October 6, 2015; Marvel Comics; Digital edition
- UPC 759606097913; December 4, 2019; Marvel Comics; True Believers
Cover gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Collections[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: A Long Time Ago... Volume 3: Resurrection of Evil
- Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago.... Volume 2
- Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 2
- Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Original Marvel Years Vol. 3
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- "Comic Marvels"—Star Wars Insider 91
- Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
- Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle, Updated Edition
- Star Wars Year By Year: A Visual History, Updated and Expanded Edition