The Star of Empire was an oval starship, nearly two kilometers long, and painted bright blue. It had the capacity to carry five thousand passengers (including the personal ships of the richer ones) and was staffed by a large crew.
The Star of Empire had forty staterooms on either side of the hull, each having a large portal viewing into open space. Other places of interest included an observation deck, a low-paying passenger area called the "Starlight Deck," a casino (the Corellia Room), an expensive restaurant (the Nebula Room), and a small but extensive library.
In 0 BBY, the Star was taken over by a rogue artificial intelligence created by the Empire called SIM. The anthropologist Mammon Hoole, his wards Tash and Zak Arranda, and the smuggler Dash Rendar escaped from the murderous program, and Dash disabled the cruiser with his ship, the Outrunner. Dash planned to sell the Star of Empire to the Rebel Alliance.
- Rebel Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire (First appearance)
- Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire audio drama
- Galaxy of Fear: The Doomsday Ship
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent (Mentioned only)
- The Essential Chronology
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 140 (KAT5, Second Chance)
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Reader's Companion