- "I've outrun Imperial starships, not the local bulk cruisers, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now."
- ―Han Solo
A starship, or simply referred to as a ship, was a manned vehicle used for traveling in realspace or hyperspace. Dating back thousands of years, the earliest starships transported spacers to new worlds through cryogenic freezing processes. Upon the invention of the hyperdrive, those that were equipped could travel faster than light by entering hyperspace, drastically reducing the journey times between two solar systems.
There existed many types of starships, from smaller starfighters to the much larger battleships. Due to the complex nature of these ships, a variety of power sources were required to maintain and operate essential functions onboard. The most common power sources were chemical, fission, or fusion reactors which consumed a variety of fuels based on local resources, and dated back to the Republic's earliest days. Many large ships opted for fusion systems that contained hypermatter-annihilation cores, which could generate vast amounts of power. Despite all the benefits, most power systems required hazardous fuel to organic beings, often circulating in ship systems as corrosive liquids or combustible and poisonous gases. At least some starships possessed safety protocols built into the computer system that prevented the pilot from taking dangerous and reckless actions, though these could be disabled.
- Scout ship
- Assault ship
- Capital ship
- Space station
- Rogue One: Recon A Star Wars 360 Experience
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- "Far Too Remote"—From a Certain Point of View
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
- Star Wars: Puzzle Droids
Notes and referencesEdit
- Starship on Wikipedia