Stone mites were arthropods that clung to spaceships and buildings, consuming hulls and metal plating with a combination of strong, wire-cutting jaws and acidic saliva. They fed specifically on the silicates and complex metals. Three individual stone mites could merge to form a symbiotic ternary that featured a hard shell, which strengthened from electrolytic reactions. As a defense, they could weld themselves to a metallic surface and deliver electric shocks through their feeler tails.
On Ord Tiddell, thousands of stone mites infested its capital, Lagabee, with four million planetary residents requesting evacuation. In 19.9 BBY, a freighter called the Spinner crashed near Westport and released an infestation at Kishi; as a result, Armand Isard ordered their release on Orleon.
There were only a few known manners of eliminating these genetically engineered pests, one of them being oxidizer foam. When applied, the substance would actually rust the mites to death. Additionally, Jedi healers could use morichro against them.
Reports from the Clone Wars indicated that these creatures were genetically engineered by Arkanian scientists. While the Arkanian government said that this was not true early in the early days of the Empire, Arkanian scientists were the only scientists to make any progress in destroying stone mites.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan 4
- Republic 49: Sacrifice
- Republic 54: Double Blind
- SkyeWalkers: A Clone Wars Story (Mentioned only)
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
- Star Wars 28: What Ever Happened to Jabba the Hut? (First appearance)
- Under a Black Sun (Mentioned only)
- Legacy 14: Claws of the Dragon, Part 1
- Legacy—War 6
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 97 (COR37, Coruscant - Animals)
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia