Subspace was the medium used for long-range communications such as subspace radio, sub-space image transmitters and subspace transponders. It was a distinct dimension from realspace, like hyperspace and otherspace.
Behind the scenes
In Star Trek, subspace is both the primary form of radio communication used by Starfleet, and the analog to Warp, which creates subspace bubbles around ships, allowing faster-than-light travel. Messages sent through subspace can bypass the physical light-speed limitations of real space, allowing for near-instantaneous communication in the Star Trek universe.
Subspace also appears in the Stargate series as the analog to the hyperspace dimension. Subspace has been seen as an element of faster-than-light travel on a number of occasions.
- "Assignment: Decoy" – Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 7
- "Only Droids Serve the Maker" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Empire (First mentioned)
- "Retreat from Coruscant" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- Children of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- "Stand and Deliver" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Platt's Smugglers Guide
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Suns of Fortune
Notes and references
- The Essential Atlas, p. 121