- "Besides, attacking that battle station ain't my idea of courage. It's more like…suicide."
- ―Han Solo, prior to the Battle of Yavin
Suicide was the deliberate termination of one's life by one's own hand. Sentient beings killed themselves for a number of reasons. This could be brought about by the mental status of a person or by extraneous circumstances, such as cultural demands or military directives.
Examples[edit | edit source]
- George R. Binks had attempted to kill himself after being overcome with emotions at his wife and son, Jar Jar, although the attempt had failed after awaking a few hours later after a shot to the head left him unconscious.
- Rather than live with a crippling injury, Tusken Raiders would kill themselves if they lost a limb, or lost the use of it due to a wound.
- Jagi killed himself after deciding not to fight Canderous Ordo to the death.
- Xanatos, a former Padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn, killed himself in 44 BBY, preferring to jump into a pool of acid rather than facing capture by his former master.
- Hunti Pereg, a bounty hunter, let a thermal pool set off his thermal detonators, rather than facing Granta Omega.
- Hevy killed himself by detonating two tanks of Tibanna so he could destroy Rishi Station to warn Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi General Anakin Skywalker about an upcoming Separatist Invasion on the planet of Kamino.
- Around 21 BBY, a Death Watch terrorist, who bombed the Memorial Shrine in Sundari, let himself fall to his death from a high balcony rather than face capture by Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- An Unidentified slave girl killed herself by jumping off a balcony ledge rather than be reprocessed after attempting to kill Miraj Scintel and being stopped by Anakin Skywalker.
- The Father on Mortis stabbed himself in order to weaken the Son, who had fallen to the dark side.
- Clone Trooper Hardcase killed himself when he threw a detached missile pod from his hijacked Umbaran starfighter to destroy the reactor of the Separatist supply ship when the reactor shields were activated.
- Following a misdirected raid against a suspected Jedi survivor and the earlier death of his squadmate Bry, IC-4447, known as Ennen, shot himself in the head with his sidearm.
- Ko Sai hanged herself rather than help clone renegades reverse the clones' accelerated aging.
- Darth Vader in 19 BBY attempted to kill himself as a means to atone for his sins during the Atoan insurgency by collapsing a building on himself, Garoche Tarkin, and Saro. He ended up surviving.
- Gira, a Jedi Knight, ran himself through with his own lightsaber after being tricked into betraying the Padawans in his care by Darth Vader.
- At fourteen, Danalis killed herself by cycling an airlock while not wearing a space suit after realizing Captain Shrike would never live up to his promise to fix her vrelt-gnawed face.
- In 3 BBY on Felucia, Shaak Ti killed herself by falling into a sarlacc pit after being defeated by Galen Marek.
- In the same year that the Battle of Yavin took place, Bria Tharen killed herself by taking a poison pill rather than face capture or execution at the hands of the Imperials that had surrounded her unit, along with the rest of Red Hand Squadron.
- Moff Sarn Shild killed himself in 4 BBY using either a blaster or poison.
- Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Acting Moff Birra Seah attempted to commit suicide when Emperor Palpatine himself scolded her harshly onboard the Executor'. However, thanks to her mild Force-sensitivity, Darth Vader was able to dissuade her from doing so using telepathy.
- In 0 BBY, the Rebel deserter Tyler Lucian committed suicide to keep Darth Vader from discovering Luke Skywalker's identity. 
- Colby Hoff shot himself in the head with a blaster after Xizor ruined him.
- In 27 ABY, Borsk Fey'lya detonated a bomb on Coruscant, killing himself and over twenty-five thousand Yuuzhan Vong Warriors.
- Vergere killed herself by piloting an A-wing starfighter straight into the heart of a Yuuzhan Vong base.
- Viqi Shesh killed herself during the Yuuzhan Vong War by jumping into Coruscant's canyons.
- After witnessing the destruction of Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane's vessel, Nas Choka gave permission for those Yuuzhan Vong who wished to kill themselves to do so. A large number of Yuuzhan Vong chose to, some by using coufees, others by turning the ships which they were flying into living missiles.
- In 40 ABY, Cal Omas killed himself by falling on Ben Skywalker's lightsaber to make the assassination attempt seem real.
- In 43.5 ABY, former Galactic Alliance Chief of State Cha Niathal ran a line of carbon monoxide gas into an aquarium she had entered after refusing to be put on trial for dereliction of duty.
- In 137 ABY, Admiral Dru Valan killed himself after his devastating defeat in the Battle of Mon Calamari (Second Imperial Civil War) against his rival and obsession, Gar Stazi.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- Star Wars Trading Card Game - The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: )
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Fidelis")
- Star Wars: The Card Game – A Dark Time (Card: MTV-7)
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- Dangerous Covenants
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Suicide on Wikipedia