- "I'm beginning to think everyone who comes from your planet is crazy!"
- ―Jan Ors to Kyle Katarn, regarding Sulon, witnessing Grif Grawley battle probe droid AD-43
Sulon was the headquarters of Sulon Incorporated, a SoroSuub subsidiary which utilized the underground areas of the moon for manufacturing and starport facilities. These underground facilities were where the most dangerous Sullustan explosives, weapons, and bacteriological testing was conducted, safely off of the surface of Sullust.
Sometime before 1 BBY several Sulonese farmers, second and third-generation colonists, complained about Imperial policies and eventually publicly gathered in the city of Barons Hed for a nonviolent demonstration. They scrambled before Imperial forces reacted. To avoid embarrassment, the local commandant resolved to the recorded holovids (and the collaboration of a traitor) to identify and hunt them. Soon, he sent All Terrain Armored Transports which massacred three families of the protester farmers in one night. Following this, Morgan Katarn, leading figure in the resistance, gathered few hundreds of the participants, in order to hide and relocate them to another planet.
During the Galactic Civil War, Morgan Katarn became a leader of the active Rebel group on Sulon. Those tried to become independent of SoroSuub Corporation energy plants. They attempted to make their own geothermal station at the G-Tap to gain some independence.
Following the Battle of Endor, Imperial forces began a counterassault against the Rebels on Sulon, planning to drive the Alliance off the moon, then to use it as a base of operations for attacking Sullust. Entire Rebel cells and brigades were killed and eventually, the Alliance ordered all their forces on Sulon to retreat. Those with access to starships fled immediately, but scores of Alliance personnel were left behind, so they made their way to Akkalo Station, a small Imperial spaceport, and captured it. The Alliance sent a shuttle to the port, to pick up the survivors, but the Imperials sent reinforcements to the station before the shuttle could arrive.
Jerec had served as the moon's governor for a short time, and Sulon later was under Jerec's jurisdiction after the Battle of Endor. Jerec and his six companions had established a palace, which Kyle Katarn infiltrated. Kyle had his first victory against a Dark Jedi on Sulon, as he defeated Yun in the palace, though sparing his life.
Behind the scenes
There is a discrepancy on the pronunciation of Sulon between two appearances. In a cut scene from Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Kyle Katarn pronounces the name of the moon as Soo-lawn. Alternately, in the audio dramatization of Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire, the voice actors pronounce it suhl-uhn.
- "Outgunned"—Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.20
- Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire / audio drama
- Dark Forces Manual: Coded Transmissions (First mentioned)
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent / audio drama
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (First appearance)
- "Lucasfilm's Latest" – Star Wars Insider 29 (Picture only)
- "Game Room: Playing with the Dark Side" – Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 8 (Picture only)
- Dark Forces Manual: Coded Transmissions
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Dark Forces Saga
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 124
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 140 (KAT5, Second Chance)
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption Expansion: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy at War
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 30
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Strongholds of Resistance