A superweapon (also spelled super-weapon) or megaweapon referred to a weapon of great power, capable of bringing varying degrees of massive destruction. Some may level whole cities and continents, whilst some could even destroy planets.
- "Long ago in forgotten times, when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were, of unimaginable power."
- "I designed a great engine. It was a weapon, of course, powerful enough to burn the city to ash."
- ―Darth Momin, to Darth Vader
Starflash was a single-use superweapon that was acquired by the Stybla family of the Chiss Ascendancy. It could fire a blast of tachyonic as well as lightspeed energy at a star, which would cause the star to send a return blast that was far more powerful. Though the original Starflash was used and destroyed at the Final Assault on Csilla, another was obtained centuries later and was in the possession of the Stybla at the time of the Clone Wars.
- "Finding it is one thing. Finding a way to stop it is another."
- ―Mace Windu, on the superweapon Malevolence
The Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars was considered to be a superweapon, as was the defoliator and the Galactic Republic's electro-proton bomb developed by Sionver Boll.
Age of the Empire
The Death Stars
- "This station is now the ultimate power in the universe! I suggest we use it."
- ―Conan Antonio Motti
Arc Pulse Generator
The Galactic Empire developed and produced, or was rumored to have, many other superweapon projects. Such include the Onager-class Star Destroyer, was a type of capital ship that utilized a kyber crystal superweapon; The rumored Mass Shadow Generator, which would have existed in both realspace and hyperspace; The Torpedo Sphere, a siege platform and space station; The Omega Frost, a rumored interstellar freeze ray; and the Electro-Proton Bomb/Defoliator, based off the electro-proton bomb and the defoliator from the Clone Wars.
There were many rumors about superweapons, including interstellar freeze rays and chemical weapons that could turn organics into stone.
Behind the scenes
Earlier versions of the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens had the Resistance developing a superweapon known as the War-Hammer. In those versions, the War-Hammer would've been several times the size of a Star Destroyer and had the form of a massive ship with a huge front that could penetrate any shield and was able to deploy ships through it.
- Rogue One: Recon A Star Wars 360 Experience
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
- Star Wars: Visions – "THE TWINS" (Ambiguous canonicity)
Notes and references
- Doctor Aphra (2016) 36
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Darth Vader (2017) 22
- Star Wars (2015) 38
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Lesser Evil
- ; image #1 (of 19)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast"
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
- The Star Wars Book
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens