Suurja was an agrarian planet with a breathable atmosphere that was located within the Suurja system of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories region and harbored both a native species called Suurjans and a colonist population of 16 million. By the year 3966 BBY, Suurja served as a resource world for the nearby city-covered planet of Taris.
During the early phase of the conflict between the Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders and the Galactic Republic, both sides engaged in four devastating yet inconclusive battles on Suurja that made many of the world's inhabitants refugees. In 3964 BBY, the Mandalorians captured a large group of Jedi crusaders on Suurja's surface and took them to the Flashpoint Stellar Research Station as experimental subjects for the Mandalorian scientist Demagol.
Suurja was an agrarian planet that was located within the Suurja system of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories region. The planet was the star system's primary world and was a part of the Ojoster sector.
By the year 3966 BBY, Suurja served as a resource world for Taris, a nearby city-covered planet. That year, the Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders, who had been conquering independent planets beyond Galactic Republic–controlled space for a decade, began to threaten Suurja and other Tarisian resource worlds, causing the Republic to grant Taris membership and military protection. As a result, a Republic security cordon called the Jebble-Vanquo-Tarnith line was created, and Suurja was one of the worlds that was located on the frontline. The following year, the Mandalorian forces engaged the Republic Military in four inconclusive battles on Suurja in the span of six weeks, devastating the planet and forcing many of the agrarian world's inhabitants to become refugees. The Mandalorians followed the fugitives to such planets as Vanquo.
In 3964 BBY, a large group of Jedi Knights affiliated with the Revanchist faction of the Jedi Order were present on Suurja on a scouting mission. They were ambushed by Mandalorian forces, who were also on the planet despite the earlier departure of the Mandalorian forces from the Suurja system. Many Jedi who survived the surprise attack, including the Human Jedi Knight Alek, were captured by the Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders and transported to the Flashpoint Stellar Research Station, a facility where the Mandalorian scientist Demagol was conducting experiments on Jedi. That same year, the former Jedi Padawan Zayne Carrick posed as a refugee from Suurja in order to infiltrate an outpost of miners on Vanquo.
- "Suurjans don't have ears."
- ―Marn Hierogryph
Suurja was home to Suurjans, a species that lacked ears. The agrarian world also had a colonist population of 16 million. Many inhabitants of Suurja where forced to become refugees following the battles between the Republic and the Mandalorians that took place on the planet.
Behind the scenes
Suurja made its first in-universe appearance in The Taris Holofeed: Prime Edition—an article that was written by John Jackson Miller and published within the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic/Rebellion flip-book on March 1, 2006. The Suurja system, and therefore the planet Suurja, was placed in grid square N-7 by the 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas.
- "The Taris Holofeed: Prime Edition" — Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic/Rebellion flip-book (First appearance)
- Knights of the Old Republic 6
- Knights of the Old Republic 7 (Mentioned only)
- Knights of the Old Republic 8 (Mentioned only)
- Knights of the Old Republic 9 (Mentioned only)
- "The Taris Holofeed: Siege Edition" — Knights of the Old Republic 15 (Mentioned only)
- Knights of the Old Republic 25 (Mentioned only)
- Kenobi (Mentioned only)
- Kenobi audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 300 ("Suurja")
- Suurja system — Based on corresponding data for
- Knights of the Old Republic 6
- Knights of the Old Republic 25
- "The Taris Holofeed: Prime Edition" — Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic/Rebellion flip-book
- Knights of the Old Republic 8
- Knights of the Old Republic 9
- "The Taris Holofeed: Siege Edition," which is set concurrently with Knights of the Old Republic 15 and thus in 3963 BBY, states that the Mandalorians began to threaten Suurja three years before the events depicted in the comic; thus the date 3966 BBY can be derived.
- "The Taris Holofeed: Siege Edition" — Knights of the Old Republic 15
- The Essential Atlas
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Knights of the Old Republic 7