The T-7 ion disruptor rifle was a model of high-powered disruptor rifle designed to disable starships and take out multiple enemies at one time. The rifles would also have destructive effects when used on organic lifeforms. The rifles were responsible for the near-extinction of the Lasat species, and their destructive powers led the Imperial Senate to ban their use within the Galactic Empire. The rebel crew of the Ghost later stole a shipment of T-7 ion disruptors and destroyed them before they could fall into the hands of the Empire.
Few personal weapons possessed the destructive power and fearsome reputation as the T-7 ion disruptor; originally designed as an anti-air and anti-armor weapon, the T-7 let loose a burst of ionized plasma charged with enough energy to puncture starship hulls. In its intended role, the T-7 made short work of many armored vehicles, mechanized infantry, airspeeders, and even starships - its intense ionization being particularly deadly to aircraft, as it could shut down critical components and send them into a death spiral - the T-7 was capable of chewing through nearly anything its path. The T-7 was, however, a slow firing weapon and required a lengthy pause between shots to recharge and cool down. Further, the T-7 was resolutely unmodifiable, and could not benefit from attachments or modifications to grant faster firing speeds, improvements to its range, or grant multiple shots.
Despite its deadly fire capability, the T-7 gained its notorious reputation from its use on sentient beings; a single shot from a T-7 produced an explosive blast that could atomize entire groups of lifeforms - when used on an organic being, the victim was disintegrated on the molecular level atom by atom, resulting in a slow, painful, and excruciatingly grotesque death.
- "I was there when Lasan fell. I know why you fear those disruptors. I gave the order to use them."
- ―Agent Alexsandr Kallus, to Garazeb Orrelios
At some point, while fighting on cold terrain, a cold weather assault stormtrooper was armed with a T-7. During the Siege of Lasan, Agent Kallus of the Imperial Security Bureau ordered the Imperial forces to use T-7s against the Lasat, the sentient species native to the planet. Most of the Lasat were killed during the fall, and the gruesome effects that the rifles had on organic lifeforms led the Imperial Senate to ban their use.
Some time later, in the years before the Battle of Yavin, some T-7 disruptors were manufactured and owned by weapons manufacturer Amda Wabo. Minister Maketh Tua of Lothal met with Wabo to discuss an illegal arms deal, with assistance from the droids C-3PO and R2-D2, who had been dispatched by Lothal's governor, Arihnda Pryce—and, secretly, Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan, who wanted the weapons destroyed. The arms deal was intercepted and disrupted on Garel by the rebel crew of the Ghost, who intended to sell the weapons to Lothal arms dealer Cikatro Vizago. Agent Kallus found the rebels and attempted to both destroy the rebels and retrieve the weapons, but he failed and the rebels were able to destroy the disruptor rifles and escape. C-3PO and R2-D2 were then returned to Senator Bail Organa.
T-7s were rather rare, and many of the rifles were either recalled or destroyed; copies of the schematics escaped deletion, however, and private weapons manufacturers produced batches that could be found on the black market—for a price.
Behind the scenes
The T-7 ion disruptor rifle made its first appearance in "Droids in Distress," the third episode of the first season of Star Wars Rebels. Visually, it is almost identical to the Disruptor Rifle created by the Chu-Gon Dar cube the Legends MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies: Trials of Obi-Wan.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Rebel Rising (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Rising audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Droids in Distress book
- Star Wars Rebels – "Droids in Distress" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide (First mentioned)
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Forged in Battle
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – A Wretched Hive (Card: T-7 Ion Disruptor) (backup link)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 19 (Databank A-Z: GA-97–Geonosis)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 69 (Secrets of Spaceflight: Smuggling Partnerships) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Legion – Snowtroopers Unit Expansion (Card: )
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 57 (Databank A-Z: Trident Assault Ship–Turbolasers)
- Gadgets and Gear
- (Indirect mention only)
- "R2-D2" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Star Wars Book
- (First identified as T-7 ion disruptor rifle)