The TIE/IN interceptor, also known as the TIE Interceptor, was a type of TIE fighter used by the Galactic Empire, most notably during the Battle of Endor. The interceptor was identifiable by the addition of four arrow-shaped panels tipped with laser cannons.
The TIE/IN interceptor featured four very recognizable pointed solar panels, and was a far deadlier opponent than the standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter. Lacking both shields and a hyperdrive, it made up for its lack of defensive capabilities with a top speed of 1,250 kph owing to upgraded engines providing considerably improved maneuverability and speed. In addition, four laser cannons on its wingtips allowed for far more firepower to overload the shields on an enemy craft. With the Empire placing its elite pilots into Interceptor cockpits to maximize the craft's effectiveness, Interceptors were ideally suited for their main function: chasing down and eliminating rebel starfighters. Some interceptors belonging to elite pilots featured additional red and dark grey markings. In 2 BBY, Vult Skerris flew one of these starfighters, when he was based at Skystrike Academy.
The TIE Interceptor was created by Sienar Fleet Systems upon realization that the TIE Advanced x1 would be too costly to mass-produce, and was also the Empire's direct response to the Rebel Alliance's introduction of faster starships. Despite this, it was not as fast as the RZ-1 A-wing interceptor, being 50 kph slower. By the time of the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, the TIE Interceptor and other newer TIE models made up 20% of the Empire's starfighter fleet.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 Star Wars: TIE Fighter Deluxe Book and Model Set
- ↑ Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Antilles Extraction"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit"