The TIE/IN interceptor, also known as TIE Interceptor, was a type of TIE fighter used by the Galactic Empire, most notably during the Battle of Endor. The interceptor was identifiable by the addition of four arrow-shaped panels tipped with laser cannons.
The TIE/IN interceptor featured four very recognizable pointed solar panels, and was a far deadlier opponent than the standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter. Lacking both shields and a hyperdrive, it made up for its lack of defensive capabilities with a top speed of 1,250 kph owing to upgraded engines providing considerably improved maneuverability and speed. In addition, four laser cannons on its wingtips allowed for far more firepower to overload the shields on an enemy craft. With the Empire placing its elite pilots into Interceptor cockpits to maximize the craft's effectiveness, Interceptors were ideally suited for their main function: chasing down and eliminating rebel starfighters. Some interceptors belonging to elite pilots featured additional red and dark grey markings. In 2 BBY, Vult Skerris flew one of these starfighters, when he was based at Skystrike Academy.
The TIE Interceptor was created by Sienar Fleet Systems upon realization that the TIE Advanced x1 would be too costly to mass-produce, and was also the Empire's direct response to the Rebel Alliance's introduction of faster starships. Despite this, it was not as fast as the RZ-1 A-wing interceptor, being 50 kph slower.The Interceptor was first deployed 16 years after the founding of the Empire, in 3 BBY. By the time of the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, the TIE Interceptor and other newer TIE models made up 20% of the Empire's starfighter fleet.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Lost Stars
- Lost Stars webcomic
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Antilles Extraction"
- "Sons of the Sky"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine
- Star Wars Rebels – "An Inside Man" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Flight of the Defender"
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Star Wars: Battle Pod
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 14: Vader Down, Part V
- Darth Vader 15: Vader Down, Part VI (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Commander
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- Shattered Empire, Part I
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- TIE Fighter 2
- Poe Dameron 8: The Gathering Storm, Part I (Wings appear in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Appears in hologram)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 Star Wars: TIE Fighter Deluxe Book and Model Set
- ↑ Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Antilles Extraction"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy