The TIE/IN interceptor, also known as the TIE Interceptor, was a type of TIE fighter used by the Galactic Empire, most notably during the Battle of Endor. The interceptor was identifiable by the addition of four arrow-shaped panels tipped with laser cannons.
The TIE/IN interceptor was a far deadlier opponent than the standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter and featured four very recognizable pointed solar panels. These panels, based on the "bent-wing" configuration used on the prototype TIE Advanced flown by Darth Vader, were given a dagger like design, which gave a TIE fighter pilot a wider field of vision. Lacking both shields and a hyperdrive, it made up for its lack of defensive capabilities with a top speed of 1,250 kph owing to upgraded engines providing considerably improved maneuverability and speed. In addition, four laser cannons on its wingtips allowed for far more firepower to overload the shields on an enemy craft. With the Empire placing its elite pilots into Interceptor cockpits to maximize the craft's effectiveness, Interceptors were ideally suited for their main function: chasing down and eliminating rebel starfighters.
Veteran rebel pilots understood that they should not underestimate the TIE interceptor's maneuverability and speed. In fact, to maximize the craft's speed, designers enlarged the standard twin ion engines. The TIE interceptor's large solar panels were included to give the needed power. Some interceptors belonging to elite pilots featured additional red and dark grey markings. In 2 BBY, Vult Skerris flew one of these starfighters, when he was based at Skystrike Academy.
The TIE Interceptor was created by Sienar Fleet Systems upon realization that the TIE Advanced x1 would be too costly to mass-produce, and was also the Empire's direct response to the Rebel Alliance's introduction of faster starships. Despite this, it was not as fast as the RZ-1 A-wing interceptor, being 50 kph slower. By the time of the Battle of Endor, the TIE Interceptor made up one-fifth of the Empire's starfighter fleet.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 Star Wars: TIE Fighter Deluxe Book and Model Set
- ↑ Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ Jedi Fallen Order - Dark Temple 1
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars Rebels – "The Antilles Extraction"
- ↑ Dawn of Rebellion dates the events of Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow seventeen years after the end of the Clone Wars, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 19 BBY; therefore, the events of Steps Into Shadow must take place in 2 BBY. According to Star Wars: On the Front Lines, Mon Mothma's denunciation of the Galactic Empire and the Declaration of the Rebel Alliance take place 2 years before the Battle of Yavin or 2 BBY. As "The Antilles Extraction" is set between Steps Into Shadow and "Secret Cargo," it must also take place in 2 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit"