The TIE/rb heavy starfighter, more formally known as the TIE reinforcement battery heavy starfighter, and simply known as the heavy TIE fighter, TIE Brute or the Infiltrator was a variant of the TIE line starfighters used by the Galactic Empire, distinguished by its extra pod housing more powerful laser cannons.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Some Imperial admirals were wary of its development, believing it would reduce the need for larger support vessels. Like all TIE models, they were manufactured by Sienar Fleet Systems, and featured twin ion engines and micro-corrugated solar collector panels, with the power being transferred via a conduit located between the panel and the engine systems. The pilot was assisted by an MGK-300 droid brain, which acted in a similar manner to an astromech counterpart.
At least three of the starfighters were assigned to the Kullgroon garrison. They were deployed during the uprising on the planet led by Captain Lando Calrissian and the natives. They were all shot down by L3-37 flying the starship Millennium Falcon.
Cadet Han Solo, during his time at the Carida Academy, was assigned to fly a TIE Brute aboard a Cantwell-class Arrestor Cruiser as part of Onyx Squadron. His ship was damaged during a fight with pirates and crashed in the landing bay, leading to a tribunal.
In 10 BBY, one such fighter was again deployed to chase the Millennium Falcon inside the Akkadese Maelstrom and was the last surviving TIE Fighter pursuing the Falcon until Solo, now an outlaw, used a maneuver he learned from a street racer on Corellia, causing the TIE/rb to crash.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Its design, done by James Clyne, was originally proposed for Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. It was added to Solo when the crew decided they needed a "leader" TIE fighter. One of its nicknames was the "Bubba" TIE.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition (First identified as Infiltrator)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 5
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 1
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 2 (Appears in hologram)
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 3
- Lando - Double or Nothing 5
- Star Wars: Starfighter Missions
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Star Wars 1
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual (First identified as TIE reinforcement battery heavy starfighter)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – TIE/rb Heavy Expansion Pack
- (First identified as TIE/rb heavy starfighter)