One of the two laser cannons found on the TIE/LN was replaced with additional sensor and communications gear in the TIE/rc. Although the TIE/rc was not as well armed, it had upgraded thrusters which made it more maneuverable than the TIE/LN.
The TIE/rc lacked a hyperdrive, but it could still move beyond the detection area of capital ships; it carried enhanced sensors that allowed it to range ahead of the main force and relay pre-engagement reconnaissance data back with its improved communication equipment. These small ships were often deployed in crowded areas where larger vessels could not operate (e.g. asteroid fields), or were sent to scout ahead for starfighter forces.
Standard procedure for long-range TIE reconnaissance missions involved the carrying vessel dropping a TIE/rc squadron into a system, then jumping to hyperspace, ensuring its safety. The TIEs would race through the system, gathering data, before meeting the carrier at a rendezvous point elsewhere in the system.
- Strike Force: Shantipole
- Before the Storm (First identified as TIE/rc reconnaissance fighter)
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Campaign Pack
- The Star Wars Rules Companion
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Two
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Three
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- "Alliance Intelligence Report: TIE Fighters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- "Imperial Garrisons"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited
- Star Wars: Chronicles
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 7 (TIE1, TIE Fighter)
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels