The TIE/sk x1 experimental air superiority fighter, also known as the TIE/sk atmospheric fighter or simply the TIE striker, was a streamlined variant of the TIE line starfighters used by the Galactic Empire, most notably during the Battle of Scarif. Specialized for in-atmosphere missions, the atmospheric fighter was identifiable by its horizontal high-speed wings and large central pod. Largely because of its specialization for such missions, it was one of the few TIE models to be used by the Imperial Army as well as the Imperial Navy.
The TIE striker featured flat, high-speed, pointed wings which were specially designed for in-atmosphere combat. For this reason it was faster than the standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter. The TIE striker was able to gain additional speed by curling down its wings, engaging from flight mode to attack mode. The atmospheric fighter was heavily armed, sporting four pairs of laser barrels and proton bombs that were particularly effective against vehicle units, dealing heavy damage over a large area. Although its intended role was as an atmospheric fighter, it could also be used as a starfighter to some extent, and accompany traditional TIE fighters. The TIE striker could be further modified with lightweight frames, thus allowing for an increased speed. The craft was also useful for shifting supplies and personnel from orbit to the planet surface, thanks to a larger central pod.
- "I've got one on my tail!"
- ―X-wing pilot at the Battle of Scarif
In large part due to the decommissioning of many clone troopers from the ranks of the Imperial Military, fresh cadets were often utilized for piloting the TIE striker, of which at least one squadron did a fly-by near the then-under construction Death Star.
The TIE striker served the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War, a galaxy-wide conflict in which the Alliance to Restore the Republic waged a rebellion against the Empire to restore democratic rule to the galaxy. The starfighter was utilized for in-atmosphere engagements and the defense of important Imperial bases. In particular, because of the secrecy behind the Imperial security complex on the jungle planet Scarif requiring a vigilant and swift defense force, the TIE pilots stationed there utilized the strikers.
The TIE strikers notably defended Scarif during a Rebel attack that was part of the Rebel mission to steal the plans to the Death Star. During the battle, the TIE strikers entered dogfights with various Rebel aligned craft, with some also escorting a TIE/rp Reaper attack lander to deliver a squad of death troopers to deal with Rogue One.
The TIE striker was still in the service of the Galactic Empire in 5 ABY, with several TIE strikers being present at the Rothana Imperial Shipyards around the time of the Battle of Jakku. During the battle itself, TIE strikers were utilized on Jakku's surface to combat the New Republic.
Behind the scenes
The TIE striker was created and developed for the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The TIE striker was first revealed on May 17, 2016, in a preview for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: The Official Visual Story Guide, a cancelled reference book for the film that was rewritten as Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Vision to Kylo Ren)
- Choose Your Destiny: A Han & Chewie Adventure
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess (Appears in flashback(s))
- "The Voice of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 170
- Unwelcome Arrival
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One Adaptation 6
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Poe Dameron 9: The Gathering Storm, Part II (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 Breznican, Anthony (October 31, 2016). Secrets of the TIE Striker: An EW Rogue One video. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on October 31, 2016.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars Is Adding Some Gorgeous New Ships For Rogue One
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in the year 0 BBY.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Striker Expansion Pack (Card: Imperial Trainee—TIE Striker)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head states that the TIE/ln space superiority starfighter had a maximum speed of 1,200 kph.
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Striker Expansion Pack
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Striker Expansion Pack (Card: Scarif Defender—TIE Striker)
- ↑ Choose Your Destiny: A Han & Chewie Adventure
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Poe Dameron 9: The Gathering Storm, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Jakku in the year 5 ABY.