- "This “fighter” is nothing more than a big, fast, flying bomb. It carries an explosive payload to a target. End of story. And, most likely, end of target."
- ―Description of a M4
A modified starfighter built by an Imperial research project led by Director Lenzer under the command of Grand Admiral Demetrius Zaarin, the M4 was designed as a cruise missile for destroying capital ships and space stations. With wing panels taken directly from the TIE/sa bomber and a similar central pod and wing struts, the TIE M4 was loaded with enough explosives to detonate with five times the explosive force of a kamikaze TIE/LN starfighter.
With an oversized booster employed in addition to the standard Twin Ion Engines, the TIE Experimental M4 had greater linear acceleration than a TIE/D Defender and as much maneuverability as a standard TIE Fighter. As a guided missile, the TIE M4 had no defensive weaponry. Like the other TIE Experimentals, the M4 was remotely controlled by a modified Beta-class ETR-3 escort transport.
Rebel forces only known encounter with the M4 occurred when the Empire executed a retaliatory strike against the cruiser Liberty. Liberty's fighter squadrons were scrambled in defense, and they managed to save the ship from destruction.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "M4")
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide