The TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tank, also known as the TX-225 GAVw Combat Assault Tank, the TX-225A Occupier tank, or simply the Imperial combat assault tank, was a track-propelled ground assault vehicle used by the Galactic Empire, and operated by a commander and two pilots. The tank had great maneuverability in tight quarters, such as the streets of occupied cities. Its laser cannons could devastate enemy troops, and the powerful engines could transport heavy payloads.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Rothana Heavy Engineering's TX-225 GAVw assault tank was the Imperial Army's premier light urban combat vehicle. These rugged vehicles could be found in mechanized infantry divisions and the Galactic Empire's Stormtrooper Corps, where they filled a much-needed support and patrol role in the Empire's order of battle. The tank was typically deployed in occupied cities and within Imperial military facilities rather than on the front lines, and were a common sight in urban centers with high amounts of unrest. Remarkably versatile, Occupiers were capable of fighting, providing support fire, and carrying troops and cargo with equal ease.
Small and simple, the Occupier was 7.30 meters long and 1.82 meters tall, and was roughly the same size of a heavy speeder truck. They had an armored, wedge-shaped forward crew compartment that held the three-person crew—a vehicle commander, a driver and a gunner—in cramped conditions. As a result of their tracks and responsive drivetrain, the Occupier was capable of stopping, turning, and maneuvering in incredibly tight quarters. They were heavily armed for vehicles of similar class, equipped with three Dymek manufactured MK 2e/w medium laser cannons, two elevating and one forward-locked, a pair of light blaster cannons mounted forward in the reinforced bow, and a light repeating blaster that could be mounted on a pintle near the main access hatch for anti-infantry and light anti-vehicle use in tight quarters. In addition to its armament, the GAVw had a depleted duranium composite armor, and was equipped with a Rothana Heavy Engineering manufactured ADGT-1500 engine that boasted a maximum speed of 72 kilometers per hour on the road and 45 kilometers per hour off the road, as well as close-range sensors. The cost of the GAVw was 40,000 credits.
History[edit | edit source]
In 0 BBY, Imperial combat assault tanks were deployed to the Holy City of Jedha during the Empire's occupation of the desert moon to transport kyber crystals. Several of Saw Gerrera's Partisans destroyed one combat assault tank and stole all of the kyber crystals that were being held on the cargo bed.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Imperial combat assault tank was created and developed for the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The tank was first revealed with the teaser trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, on April 7, 2016. It was later identified as "Imperial Assault Hovertank" with LEGO Star Wars Rogue One sets preview photos posted on Amazon, on August 8, 2016. However, the idea of an hovertank was abandoned in early stages and the former name was mistakenly used in several toy lines. Though by July, 2016, the tank was still hovering.
For the film, the vehicle was crafted from a real, functional armored vehicle, a flat bed Alvis Stormer, which was partially redesigned by Lucasfilm concept artists. Additionally, the tank was operated by experienced tank drivers to avoid any damage to the set and crew members.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Guardians of the Whills
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Stormtroopers vs. Rebels – Soldiers of the Galactic Empire"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission
- Star Wars: Rogue One Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Rogue One Adaptation 2
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars: Commander
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Star Wars: Rogue One As Told By LEGO
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75152 Imperial Assault Hovertank)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tank)
- Art of Coloring: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier (First identified as TX-225 Occupier tank)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 40 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Jedi Knights) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 41 (Databank A-Z: 'Occupier' Tank–Oola)
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as Imperial combat assault tank)