Several months after the Evacuation of Yavin, Tak Base became the target of the first demonstration of the dark trooper project. The new Imperial troopers quickly wiped out the base and all the personnel present (and killing many civilians in the siege), proving their efficiency to Darth Vader. Only the Grey Damsel escaped the planet, but a single hidden dark trooper spelled out its demise.
The massacre mobilized the Rebellion, and mercenary Kyle Katarn was sent by Mon Mothma to investigate. In the ruins of the base he discovered an abandoned dark trooper rifle. This evidence allowed him to discover the secret dark trooper project, tracing it to Moff Rebus on Anoat and finally to the Arc Hammer.
- "Revving Up the 'Jedi Engine'" – Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 1
- Dark Forces Official Player's Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
- Strongholds of Resistance
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Galactic Ambitions (Card: Mission to Talay) (backup link)