- "Listen, Duchess. Do you hear the people? They cry out for change. Your weak-minded rule of Mandalore is at an end. The resurrection of our warrior past is about to begin!"
- ―Pre Vizsla to Duchess Satine Kryze
The takeover of Mandalore, also known as the conquest of Mandalore, was an event during the Clone Wars when the Mandalorian splinter faction Death Watch and renegade Sith Lords Maul and his brother Savage Opress launched a sham takeover of the Mandalorian homeworld, overthrowing the pacifist New Mandalorian government of Duchess Satine Kryze. The plot began from an alliance between Death Watch and the Sith brothers Maul and Savage Opress; Death Watch had been attempting to takeover the government of Mandalore for some time, while Maul hoped to create a base of power. Both sought revenge against Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and thus agreed to work together.
Together, Maul and the Death Watch leader, Pre Vizsla allied and formed the Shadow Collective. Under Maul's vision, they created an army made from various elements of the criminal underworld, including Black Sun, the Hutt Clan, and the Pyke Syndicate, all of whom fell under the banner of the Shadow Collective. To undermine the rule of Duchess Kryze, the criminal army began attacking the Mandalorian capital city of Sundari, creating panic and chaos as the New Mandalorian government was unable to contain the criminal forces. Death Watch arrived under the guise of rescuers, saving citizens and police forces alike, who saw them as the ones who saved Mandalore from attack.
After the successful execution of their plan, Vizsla gained the support of the people and dethroned the Duchess and replaced her as leader of Mandalore. His ambitions, however, saw him betray the Sith and imprison them. As his reign began, the politicians of the planet either joined him or were executed. While in prison, Maul allied himself with former Prime Minister Almec, who had been imprisoned on corruption charges. The Sith broke free from prison, and Maul challenged Vizsla to a duel for leadership. Vizsla accepted, and the two fought throughout the Sundari throne room. Maul emerged victorious, killing Vizsla and taking his place as the leader of Death Watch. Some Death Watch forces refused to bow to Maul, however, leading to open conflict amongst Death Watch. Maul then installed Almec as Prime Minister to serve as a puppet ruler, keeping his presence a secret from the Republic.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless" (In flashback(s))
- "Kenobi's Shadow"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark (Mentioned only)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir 1 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate" (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as takeover of Mandalore)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as takeover of Sundari)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 1 (Databank A-Z: Ask Aak–Stass Allie)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Databank A-Z: Poe Dameron–Delta 7-B)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 36 (Highlights of the Saga: Attack on Jabba's Palace)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 38 (Databank A-Z: Baze Malbus–Darth Maul)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 39 (Databank A-Z: Kwazel Maw–Sly Moore)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 42 (Databank A-Z: OOM-9–Viceroy Bail Organa) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 68 (Databank A-Z: Pre Vizsla–Quinlan Vos)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as conquest of Mandalore)