- "He's THE freedom fighter. A symbol of the Wookiee resistance, striking at the Empire from the Shadowlands."
- ―Saw Gerrera, to Cal Kestis
Tarfful was a male Wookiee chieftain and general who helped defend his native planet Kashyyyk during the Clone Wars. During the war, he led a band of Wookiees to answer a distress signal made by Chewbacca, who was imprisoned on the Trandoshan hunting grounds of Wasskah. Tarfful later participated in the Battle of Kashyyyk alongside Chewbacca and Jedi Master Yoda.
- "Good-bye, Tarfful. Good-bye, Chewbacca. Miss you I will."
- ―Yoda, shortly before his departure from Kashyyyk
A male Wookiee native to his species's homeworld of Kashyyyk, Tarfful served as the chieftain of the coastal city Kachirho at the time of the Clone Wars. He also held the rank of general among his people.
One standard year into the war, one of Tarfful's fellow Wookiees, Chewbacca, was captured by Trandoshans and taken to Wasskah to be hunted for sport. There, Chewbacca managed to build a device which sent a distress signal to Kashyyyk. Upon hearing of his friend's situation, Tarfful hired the bounty hunters Sugi and Seripas to transport him and a group of his most trusted warriors to Wasskah. Once there, the chieftain and his men made quick work of the Trandoshans and rescued Chewbacca, as well as Jedi younglings Ahsoka Tano, Jinx, and O-Mer.
At one point, Tarfful was captured by Trandoshan slavers who had made a deal with Count Dooku, but he was rescued by a squad of clone commandos soon after. Tarfful took part in the Battle of Kashyyyk alongside Chewbacca and Jedi Generals Yoda, Luminara Unduli and Quinlan Vos. Aided by the Grand Army of the Republic, he led a local militia against the invading Separatist droid forces. Following the implementation of Order 66, Tarfful and Chewbacca helped Yoda elude the clone troopers and escape from the planet.
In 14 BBY, Saw Gerrera's rebel cell, the Partisans, agreed to help Cal Kestis and the crew of the Stinger Mantis track down Tarfful, as the Wookiee chieftan was aware of information that could aid the Jedi Padawan in locating a Jedi holocron containing a list of names of several Force-sensitive children. After locating Tarfful in the Shadowlands, the majority of the Partisans evacuated Kashyyyk, whilst Wookiee Commander Choyyssyk and Partisan Mari Kosan remained with Tarfful. Tarfful later provided the information Kestis was seeking upon the Padawan's return to Kashyyyk.
Personality and traitsEdit
Tarfful was a massive Wookiee who was covered with dark brown fur and wore armor around his shoulders and chest. He demonstrated great loyalty and trust amongst his warriors and allies, traits that were held in high honor in Wookiee culture. He worked closely with Chewbacca during the Clone Wars, and was considered a dear friend by Jedi Master Yoda.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Join Tarfful and Cradossk to lead your forces into battle!"
- ―"Fierce Enemies" caption for Star Wars: Galactic Defense
According to the Revenge of the Sith DVD text commentary, during Yoda's "goodbye" scene to Chewbacca and Tarfful in the film, Tarfful's roar is actually Itchy's roar from The Star Wars Holiday Special.
In the 2014 mobile game Star Wars: Galactic Defense, Tarfful can be seen yelling "hnn-rowr yrroonn nng rarr," a quote which first appeared in the Legends comic Empire's End and meant "long live the New Republic," when translated from Shyriiwook.
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Chewbacca - Wookiee Warrior" (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded