The Tarkin Initiative was a secret think tank within the Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research, an organisation that belonged to Imperial Intelligence and the Imperial Security Bureau. Founded by Governor Wilhuff Tarkin, it gave birth to both the first and second Death Star battle stations. Officers within the Initiative, like Director Orson Krennic, were guarded by Imperial Intelligence's death troopers. Tarkin Initiative canisters were used as part of a mining operation on the planet Ilum.
At some point, the Tarkin Initiative also constructed the assassin droid BT-1 in one of their bases. The droid, however, was revealed to be homicidal, wiping out everyone at the base and then self-destructing the base itself. At some point before the secret mission to Geonosis, it was found by Doctor Aphra, who, after adjusting the droid's behavior and activating it, put it under the service of Darth Vader.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 8 (Databank A-Z: Bric–C-3PO)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Helmets: In Pictures)
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Databank A-Z: Xev Xrexus–Yavin 4)