- "I didn't know Mandalorians developed a type of lightsaber."
"We didn't. This was one of a kind. Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order. After his passing, the Jedi kept the saber in their temple. That was until members of House Vizsla snuck in and liberated it. They used the saber to unify the people and strike down those who would oppose them. One time, they ruled all of Mandalore wielding this blade."
- ―Kanan Jarrus and Fenn Rau, on the Darksaber
Tarre Vizsla ( pronounced /tär 'vɪzlə/), was a Force-sensitive human male who was the first Mandalorian to be inducted into the Jedi Order as a child and later became a Jedi Knight. According to legend, he created the Darksaber, a unique black-bladed lightsaber which would become the symbol of leadership within House Vizsla and became the ruler of Mandalore.
Jedi and Mandalore
Tarre Vizsla was a Force-sensitive human male who, as a child, was eventually inducted into the Jedi Order, becoming the first Mandalorian to do so. Tarre eventually became a Jedi Knight. According to legend, Vizsla created the Darksaber during his time as a Jedi. A unique black-colored lightsaber, the Darksaber became the symbol of leadership for House Vizsla of Mandalore. Tarre Vizsla led his people with the saber, eventually becoming his planet's Mand'alor.
- "Well, you were just a baby so you couldn't come, but father brought me here to see the statue of Tarre Vizsla, the ancient Mandalorian ruler."
- ―Sabine Wren, to Tristan Wren
After Vizsla's passing, the Darksaber was kept in the Jedi Temple until it was taken by members of House Vizsla during the fall of the Old Republic and was used to unite Mandalore. Sometime after his death, a large statue was erected on Mandalore to remember his legacy. When the Mandalorian Sabine Wren was young, her father, Alrich Wren, brought her to the statue to appreciate its history and legacy. During the Mandalorian Civil War of the Imperial Era, the Galactic Empire desecrated the statue and Vizsla's memory by constructing an outpost on it, covering various parts of the statue including its face. Not willing to allow the Empire to disrespect what it stood for, Sabine and her younger brother, Tristan Wren destroyed the outpost, bringing the statue back to its former appearance.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber" (First appearance) (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Art History" (Statue only)
- (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 68 (Databank A-Z: Pre Vizsla–Quinlan Vos)
- Collapse of the Republic
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
- The Art of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season One
- Star Wars - The Official Magazine 101 (Database: Before the dark times…)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle! (Indirect mention only)
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Insider 202
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian: Guide to Season One