A task force was a group of starships in the Republic Navy, the Alliance Fleet, the New Republic Defense Fleet and the Imperial Navy. In the Imperial Navy, they were known to be was smaller than an Imperial fleet, and were usually under the command of a commodore or admiral whose flagship was an Imperial-class Star Destroyer. Examples of Imperial task forces included the One Oh Third Task Force of Admiral Durril; the One Twenty-Fifth task force of Admiral Kinshara; Task Force 231, which Commodore Faro expected to command; and the task force of Admiral Gendling.
Thrawn received command of the Ninety-Sixth Task Force shortly after his promotion to admiral, although he later gave up the position so he could command the Seventh Fleet after another promotion, this time to grand admiral. His ISD, the Chimaera, moved with Thrawn through his different positions. It became flagship of the Ninety-Sixth Task Force once Thrawn became commander of it, and left with the grand admiral to become the command ship of the Seventh Fleet.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge" (Mentioned only)
- Thrawn 4 (Mentioned only)
- Thrawn 5
- Thrawn: Alliances (Mentioned only)
- Thrawn: Treason
- "Last Call at the Zero Angle"—Star Wars Insider 156 (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire
- Alphabet Squadron
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition